Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been researching 2007+ RAV4 V6 to purchase. I've made a list of reported problems and TSBs imply many have been resolved since 2010? Can anyone verify which ones have definitely been resolved on models 2010+ ? Or more specifically which ones will be present on 2010+ models.

Its a Toyota so would hope these are not common, but list is concerning.

The VVT-I $$$$ failure is really concerning and seem to happen around 50k miles. Seems some have had multiple transmissions replaced.

Here are all the problems I have identified from 2006+ :
1. VVT-I - clatter on start up ($3500-$5000 fix)
2. transmission - whine (replacement required not repair $3000 fix)
3. rear end 4WD - whine ($1500 fix)
4. rear end 4WD - yoke bearing corrosion causing oil leak (cost?)
5. WWT-I oil hose - metal replaces rubber hose ($180 fix)
6. water pump replacement due to leak - ($800 fix)
7. oil leak on timing cover (cost?)
8. oil leak on oil cooler, tow prep package only (cost?)
9. ECM problems? (cost$)

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
#5 oil hose was fixed on my 2012.
How's this possible? Toyota hasn't been using the rubber oil house in a long time, are you sure you have a 2012?

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
He means Toyota fixed this problem from the factory.

On a side note, a TSB only tells the technicians how to fix an issue IF it arises. It does not mean that the 2006-2009 RAVs will all develop these issues but I understand the OPs concern.

A recall on the other hand needs to have immediate attention even if you do not have symptoms.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
So far with my 2011 V6 I've had none of those problems, but I don't have a lot of miles on mine. By 2011 Toyota had a number of years of practice in resolving those 4.3 failures . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, just saw the "Whining noise at 40-50 mph solved?" thread on page 3 with over 1,000 posts and 193,000 views.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...40-50-mph-solved-updated-8-26-10-tsb-out.html

One poster tested 30 RAV4s on a lot and 75% had the transmission whine. Below post makes me believe this problem goes all the way to 2012 models. Toyota reliability is starting to look like Chevy reliability. May pass on the Rav4 purchase. What happenned to Toyota reliability???

Poll shows 2006-2012 owners experiencing transmission whine.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/89411-poll-v6-trans-axle-whine-model-year.html

·
Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
Tested 30? I must have missed that one. 2010+ is a pretty safe bet for a V6. God knows they had enough time to sort the problems. I wouldn't be afraid to get one and I've had more problems than most on this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tested 30? I must have missed that one. 2010+ is a pretty safe bet for a V6. God knows they had enough time to sort the problems. I wouldn't be afraid to get one and I've had more problems than most on this forum.
Think the guy that tested 30 Rav4s was on page 103 of that thread.

The poll shows a number of 2011-2012 owners also getting whine.

What really puts me off is owners are reporting whine gets louder over time which means it can't be ignored and will require replacement ... with another faulty tranny.

Looks like Toyota's solution was to discontinue the V6 /w faulty 5 speed tranny in 2013. The Lexus RX350 is safe as it uses a different 6 speed tranny with the same V6 but weights 500# more and $$$$$ more as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
In spite of what that says I can't imagine a dealer with 30 in stock much less offering to drive all of them......I smell fish.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
My dealer has a virtual monopoly on Toyota (two dealerships) as well as GM, Chevy and Buick in other businesses, and he has only six RAV4s in stock right now - all i4 of 2010, 2011.

When someone tells me he tested 30 at one dealer I have to wonder. Why so many when so few are available? Why an even number? Why such a convenient figure as 75% (which is 22 1/2 vehicles). Didn't the sound vary between vehicles? How long does it take to test drive 30 vehicles?

What dealer is it - we might want to visit to get another RAV for ourselves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think the gear whine is as big a deal as people are making of it. So it has some gear whine, mine has it ('09 V6 sport) and I am not really that concerned with it. I have not read about ANY transmission failures from this, I have read about people who complained to the dealer who had the transmission replaced but I have heard of NO TRANSMISSION FAILURES prior to transmission replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I never had the gear whining when I got my car last year, shortly after I installed my custom exhaust, now even if I do have the whine I'll never know (my exhaust is too throaty) :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have this engine in the Avalon, and investigated the VVTi issue before I purchased it. Seems this only happens when the oil is not changed on schedule. 7000 miles is on schedule but I recommend no more than every 5000 miles. If you change the oil every 5000 miles, this issue should not happen.

I do not have a whine anywhere in the RAV4 unless you count my wife when we drive past Red Lobster. :)

The VVTi oil hose is no big deal.

Water pumps up to 02/2009 are susceptible to leak.

Ignition coils are known to fail prematurely up to 2006.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Would you buy a 2012 V6 with 100,000 miles on it?

I don't buy high mileage cars but you can if you want to take the chance. As long it is maintained well it should last long like many other Toyotas. But with mileage like that you need to check if it has been serviced properly. Checking the ATF is very important so don't get one that has never had the fluid changed. All the other fluids like coolant, brake fluid, transfer case (4WD), rear differentail (4WD) etc should have been changed. If the previous owner never did much maintenance changing all the fluid I would pass since the risk of a problem is higher. So the only problem is if you can get the car service history online or through the dealer. If the car is a private sale and receipts of repairs are shown that will work better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts