Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Rav4 Limited I-4 4WD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find this answer anywhere so I'm curious if anyone has it here. The rim on my spare is a base model steel rim and I have a 2010 Limited. I bought this used and I'm wondering if this how they came when brand new or not. I want to start rotating my spare into my wheels and obviously can't until I find a limited rim and I want to take off the spare cover and have it exposed since I like that look better than with the cover on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The full size spare needs to be the same size tire as the other four. Four different wheels were offered on the 4.3: 1-16” plain steel, 2-17”, one aluminum like your limited and one styled steel like on mine, and 1-18” for the sport models. The spare wheel for the steel-wheel models was easily the same as the other four, and the Sport models got an 18” aluminum the same as the other four. The oddball is the 17” aluminum where the 17” steel was the cheaper option which would still be the same size. So, your RAV is normal, but that doesn’t help you with an oddball spare. Your options are to look for a spare same wheel at the wrecker’s or online classifieds, order a replacement new from the dealer or other parts retailer, live with the oddball wheel in the rotation, or not add the spare to your rotation. There is always the nuclear option, getting a different set of 5 wheels to fit your tires.

Next, how old is your spare? The newest 4.3 (mine, built 12/2012) is almost 8 years old, as is my spare. Mine is still original, and at this point I won’t be adding it to the rotation schedule. The last point, and sorry I didn’t check your profile first, is that there could be a problem with a sufficient difference in tread depth if you have an AWD model. I’ve never bothered with this, being FWD, but perhaps some other members with specific knowledge of the RAV’s AWD system could advise if there is any complication with differences in tread depth. Just please not what one may have heard from a tire shop, as they would much rather sell four tires than one.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Only the Sport had an alloy spare wheel. All other model had a steel wheel for the spare. I would not bother wasting money buying the alloy rim just to rotate the spare tire. You are not really saving any money and the wear is not going to be that much.

·
Registered
2010 Rav4 Limited I-4 4WD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The full size spare needs to be the same size tire as the other four. Four different wheels were offered on the 4.3: 1-16” plain steel, 2-17”, one aluminum like your limited and one styled steel like on mine, and 1-18” for the sport models. The spare wheel for the steel-wheel models was easily the same as the other four, and the Sport models got an 18” aluminum the same as the other four. The oddball is the 17” aluminum where the 17” steel was the cheaper option which would still be the same size. So, your RAV is normal, but that doesn’t help you with an oddball spare. Your options are to look for a spare same wheel at the wrecker’s or online classifieds, order a replacement new from the dealer or other parts retailer, live with the oddball wheel in the rotation, or not add the spare to your rotation. There is always the nuclear option, getting a different set of 5 wheels to fit your tires.

Next, how old is your spare? The newest 4.3 (mine, built 12/2012) is almost 8 years old, as is my spare. Mine is still original, and at this point I won’t be adding it to the rotation schedule. The last point, and sorry I didn’t check your profile first, is that there could be a problem with a sufficient difference in tread depth if you have an AWD model. I’ve never bothered with this, being FWD, but perhaps some other members with specific knowledge of the RAV’s AWD system could advise if there is any complication with differences in tread depth. Just please not what one may have heard from a tire shop, as they would much rather sell four tires than one.
I need all new tires, when I bought this SUV in May I knew that going in the tires were almost done. So my plan is to get the proper 17inch rim on the spare and 5 new tires and rotate the spare in only after I've done that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts