Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the prepaid service and never had any problems.
Prepaid service expired at 5 yrs. What services do you think are necessary at 50K miles other than oil change and lube? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Depending on your cars history and your driving habits, you might consider changing coolant and transmission fluids. Drain-and-refills with Toyota fluids only, IMO.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I would do just oil change. Transmission fluid (75k miles maybe) and Coolant can be changed at a later time - check your owner's manual.

If you have 4WD, I would change the transfer case and rear differential fluid if it was never done.
I would also do brake fluid flush if it was never done.

Both of these are easy DIY if you're into that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When are the trans and differential fluids due?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the Trans, diff, transfer case flushed at 36k. It was only recommended. If I remember right, I may have done the brake fluid flush as well at 36K. I think the 60K Toyota says to do that. At 50K I flushed the cooling system. At 60K I needed to do the front brakes (DIY job). Other than that seems everything else is due at 100K. That is one thing nice about Toyota.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Usually I do all kinds of preventive maintenance on the many cars I have had in the past but this, being my first Toyota (RAV4 2010 Limited V6, 4WD), I decided to follow exactly the owners maintenance manual.

I have 85,600 miles as of yesterday and I have followed the book 100%; only oil/filter changes and tire rotations. I still have the original: cooling system fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, shocks, differential/coupling fluids and transmission fluid. I replaced the OEM battery in January; it didn't fail, I just replaced it. I do the air filter and cabin air filter replacements myself per the book. And I replaced the batteries in our two smart keys once each so far.

The car still drives like new and is still wicked quick. :wink

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
In hind sight I should not have done the trans diff flush at 36k. Big O classifies Colorado as "extreme" environment for cars so according to Toyota, extreme environment you need to flush trans, diff and such at 30K. However, Toyota in Colorado says this is not the case, just Big O's effort to sell a service. If i was pulling trailers and driving up to the mountains daily...then yes. Looking at different forums it appears there is no need to do the trans for the life of the car...toyota considers that 150K for the life of a Rav4. Most say rule of thumb, do the change at 100K. My factory battery died almost exactly 2 years after purchase, I had to do the front brakes at 58K (did myself, just replaced the discs and put good pads on). My best guess I should get 85K or 90K out of the back brakes before change is needed. My brother has a 2008 Rav4 V6 and has over 100K and has not done the shocks or struts yet...so I have some time before worrying about that. Did flush the coolant last spring...should be good for a while now. Now my decission is to do the trans flush again anytime soon since I no longer have factory fluid in it..? Or have Toyota check it at every 10K. Wish I had done more research in that first two years of ownership...yes, we put 36K in those first two years.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...being my first Toyota (RAV4 2010 Limited V6, 4WD), I decided to follow exactly the owners maintenance manual...
That's usually a good approach. But what if you lived a hundred miles further north in say, London, Ontario? Unlike your USA owners manual, the Canadian Toyota manual would tell you to change the rear diff and transfer case fluids at 4 years, 40k-miles. and the tranny fluid at 5 years, 60k-miles. It's the same car built in the same factory.

So I go by the Canadian standard on some of this stuff as I figure Idaho climate might be similar. My USA owners manual is too vague, doesn't even mention brake fluid changes! The 60k-miles for tranny fluid in the Canadian manual sounds reasonable, and is fairly easy DIY, so that's my approach--compared to 'lifetime' fluid, lol. Several other discrepancies makes me second-guess the USA maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
14 Posts
not really a DIY job

, and is fairly easy DIY, so that's my approach--compared to 'lifetime' fluid, lol. Several other discrepancies makes me second-guess the USA maintenance schedule.
What I understand just draining the tranny DIY style you only drain a small portion of the fluid as much is still in the Torque converter. Toyota says you need to flush the system. This uses a machine that pumps fluid through the system replacing all the fluid...about 12 quarts is used. So it is not a DIY job. As for the vagueness of the service manual...agree. One frustration I have. Why the difference from a more extreme cold climate compared to a more mild climate? That is because the fluid does not behave the same in more extreme weather / temps...so it can mean premature wear. Hence they suggest more frequent changes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What I understand just draining the tranny DIY style you only drain a small portion of the fluid as much is still in the Torque converter. Toyota says you need to flush the system. This uses a machine that pumps fluid through the system replacing all the fluid...about 12 quarts is used. So it is not a DIY job. As for the vagueness of the service manual...agree. One frustration I have. Why the difference from a more extreme cold climate compared to a more mild climate? That is because the fluid does not behave the same in more extreme weather / temps...so it can mean premature wear. Hence they suggest more frequent changes.
"Toyota" doesn't specify you have to do a full tranny flush, though many of their dealers will only do that. Drain and refill is a common approach and the preferred method by many mechanics--and yes, replaces about half of the fluid, and good if you stay ahead of it, like at 60k-miles. Some folks do 2 or 3 in short intervals.

One other thing, there is a way to completely flush the tranny by tapping into the return line if that is your preference--check the forum, a recent post by Kyoo--no machine involved and good solid DIY job.

As for extreme weather conditions between Canada and northern USA, very marginal difference in many areas. What's the diffence between Vancouver, BC and Bellingham, WA, and Toronto or Detroit? Very arbitrary, and not worth voiding the need to change the ATF completely.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
170 Posts
Usually I do all kinds of preventive maintenance on the many cars I have had in the past but this, being my first Toyota (RAV4 2010 Limited V6, 4WD), I decided to follow exactly the owners maintenance manual.

I have 85,600 miles as of yesterday and I have followed the book 100%; only oil/filter changes and tire rotations. I still have the original: cooling system fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, shocks, differential/coupling fluids and transmission fluid. I replaced the OEM battery in January; it didn't fail, I just replaced it. I do the air filter and cabin air filter replacements myself per the book. And I replaced the batteries in our two smart keys once each so far.

The car still drives like new and is still wicked quick. :wink

Tom

Hey Tom,
I agree 100% with you about following the owners manual. I have always thought and at my age have owned a lot of cars that if the people who made the car wanted you to do all these "extra" services they would have put it in the owners manual.
I have a friend who is a service advisor at a big Toyota dealer and more then 3/4 of the stuff they "recommend" is not needed. Its just a way for the dealer to make money.
Bob

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

You heard wrong maybe everyone is trying to sell only their own special fluid flush. You can do it yourself.
As mention a few post above you can do a flush using the return line without any special machine. That is how it was done before they invented the transmission flushing machine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
very helpful climbitnow.

that's my exact situation. my mechanic, who is really terrific, refuses to change anything (coolant, transmission) until 90,000 miles. he very reluctantly changed my brake fluid at 30,000 miles, and spark plugs at 60,000 miles.

I do the oil changes myself every 5,000 miles (5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic, toyota oil filter). replaced the battery and tires at 30,000 miles. everything else is original.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fluid change

very helpful climbitnow.

that's my exact situation. my mechanic, who is really terrific, refuses to change anything (coolant, transmission) until 90,000 miles. he very reluctantly changed my brake fluid at 30,000 miles, and spark plugs at 60,000 miles.

I do the oil changes myself every 5,000 miles (5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic, toyota oil filter). replaced the battery and tires at 30,000 miles. everything else is original.
Thanks for the comments...this one and the previous on the thread. I decided to wait on the tranny. Made the mistake at 35k to do the tranny...now I will wait. Plugs, went out and bought very good platinum plugs and was going to do them at 30k as we use to on our older cars...but then found out pugs are not recommended until 100k. Seems like everything comes do around 100k...guess that is when you sell it. I did have an annoying noise in my front end...turned out to be a wheel bearing. Now the Rav runs much more quite. Surprised a wheel bearing went out at 64k. As for DIY the tranny? At one point in my life I would not think twice but now I just have it done. DIY my brakes and regular maintenance only these days. Even the bearing I could have done it but decided to have it done...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts