Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a non coded original Toyota fob key that came with this RAV when we bought it used. I have 2 good masters and want to program the code in this other non coded Toyota key but I cant get the vehicle to the point where the security light stays lit so it will code the key when inserted into the ignition.
Iv done the standard procedure a dozen times at least. Master Key in and out of the ignition 5 times, open & close door 6 times. At this point, the security light should stay once I remove the master and insert the new key. Problem is the security light continues to blink when I pull out the master. Why is this vehicle not going into code programing mode? Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong or is the vehicle jammed some how?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
You do not use that method to program the fob. You need a mini vci cable using the Techstream software to program your fob. You can get the mini vci cable on Ebay or Amazon. Techstream is included with the cable and you can download the latest version by just using Google to search. You may need to read this thread to help how to setup and use it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do not use that method to program the fob. You need a mini vci cable using the Techstream software to program your fob. You can get the mini vci cable on Ebay or Amazon. Techstream is included with the cable and you can download the latest version by just using Google to search. You may need to read this thread to help how to setup and use it.
The key fob works every thing properly. Its the starting of the vehicle that needs to be re coded via the transponder. Must be some way to reset the vehicle's transponder so it will go into re-code mode. DL175, Thanks for the heads up on the fob programiing.... Thank fully, I don't have that issue.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
It sound like your fob is bad if just the keyless function only works. Perhaps the chip inside is damaged? You can try to program it with Techstream but I would just buy another fob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not the key fob or key in any way. The only way the 2010 RAV4 can code the transponder key is when the red security light on the center dash "STAYS LIT" rather than blinking. The 5 times key in and out and 6 times door open and close "should" result in the security light staying on which is the only way the vehicle codes a new key. If the light continues to blink as normal with no key in, No programing can happen. It must stay lit while the master key is removed and the new key inserted within 10 seconds while the light stay lit. The new key has nothing to do with initiating this process. I guess its a dealership situation....

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Its not the key fob or key in any way. The only way the 2010 RAV4 can code the transponder key is when the red security light on the center dash "STAYS LIT" rather than blinking. The 5 times key in and out and 6 times door open and close "should" result in the security light staying on which is the only way the vehicle codes a new key. If the light continues to blink as normal with no key in, No programing can happen. It must stay lit while the master key is removed and the new key inserted within 10 seconds while the light stay lit. The new key has nothing to do with initiating this process. I guess its a dealership situation....
Like I mentioned in my first post you can not program your fob that way on this vehicle. You need to program it using Techstream. If you like the dealer can program the fob and may charge upwards of $500.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More research has led me to believe that at some point during the 2010 RAV 4 manufacture, the above key programing procedure was canceled out by Toyota. Also if the vehicle has programed a number of keys, it will no longer program any more via the on board system. The best way to go right now is this guy's rental programmer for $45 bucks. I have not rented it yet but just in case anyone else finds them selves in this predicament, this is a good lead. It also programs the fob remote buttons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Most of us have purchased the techstream adapter cables ($20-30) and use a personal laptop running a version of that factory software (techstream).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Even on my 2009 you have to use the techstream system to program the FOB for unlocking/locking. The old method you describe was discontinued, even in 2009.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts