Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Flush, Change, or Nothing

• Full Flush

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Just Change

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Do Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%

2011 - 2.5 - 4WD: Auto Transmission, flush or just change? Recommendations.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kevcules46 
Hi all. My 2011 has about 32,500mi on the clock, and I want to ensure that this car lives a full life. Hoping for 250,000.

I've scrubbed through the service intervals, and absolutely no mention of transmission fluid change or flush. I've read around a little and from what I gleaned, it seems like Toyota thinks that the transmissions never need service, but I just generally don't believe that, regardless of the manufacturer.

Anyhow, looking for some input. For most automatics I've heard it's best to do a first flush at around 30,000, and then only fluid changes after that. Wondering if I should simply change my fluid and filter, or if I might want to consider a full flush, at my current mileage.
With either option, I'll be doing it myself. Especially with the flush, given how the flushing machines can sometimes ruin a transmission.

Thanks for any recommendations. I imagine some people might think it's pointless or overly picky, but I'd prefer if the only things that fail down the road are cheap and easy to replace.
Good job getting ahead of any potential issues. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance also!

When ever I buy a used vehicle, I usually replace all the fluids (except brake) so I know the condition and can start a mileage based change interval.
I would drain the fluid and even drop the pan to clean out any sludge and also clean the magnets. At that mileage, you've gone through the initial break in and you should change the fluid and clean the magnets so that the metal slurry isn't being circulated through the tranny! :)
Some think it's overkill, but it's cheap insurance. WS OEM fluid is fine if you change it at sensible intervals IMO.
I was told the transmission filter is a "strainer" so it never needs replacing, even though the aftermarket kits come with filters, your choice.
Doing these sensible fluid changes will give your vehicle no reason to let you down! Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.