Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer:

I apologize for starting another key replacement thread, however I'm not understanding the answers. Please help!

Oh wise ones!
uploadfromtaptalk1459697819906.jpg
I have a 2011 4cyl 2wd silver Rav4. All is good except I lost my master key and I'm driving with the valet key. Fixed blade with solid gray rubber handle.

Aside from having to introduce the key in the key hole and phisically turn the key to open the doors the key starts the Rav4 and all is good. My master key was the one w fixed blade and 3 buttons.

My question, of course is, what do I need to replace it? Dealer said about $350 and the local locksmith said about $150-250.

Are replacement OEM keys available other than at the dealer?
Will it be possible to reprogram key with eBay cable?

Please feel free to explain it to me like I'm a "two year old child "

Thanks
Attached pic is of similar master key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
NEW 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 FOR Toyota Camry Remote KEY HYQ12BBY DOT Chip | eBay

You need to know your FCC ID # on your transponder. Then when you buy a key like in the link ,(its a key for a camry, but that's what came up in a search for a 2011 Rav 4 ?) you will have to have it programmed (at the dealer or locksmith) and have the key cut (locksmith). Careful though, you must buy a key with all the guts inside and not just the case like some sell. Contact the seller and tell them what you have and they will help you. I saved around $200 buying off ebay from remote overstock a few yrs back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Since I don't have a master key, where do you suggest I find the ID#?
Can I program the key with tech stream kit on eBay or do I need a locksmith to do it?

Thx

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Thanks for the response. Since I don't have a master key, where do you suggest I find the ID#?
Can I program the key with tech stream kit on eBay or do I need a locksmith to do it?

Thx

Your key ID (FCC ID) is on your key on the back opposite the button side. It may be worn out because it is just a sticker. You can try to ask the dealer for your FCC ID.

Does your other key start the car up? If it does then you should be able to reprogram the new key with that one which needs to have a transponder inside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my "dumb" key starts the engine w no issues. Unfortunately I don't have the master key, so I can't see the FCC I'D.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Couple things to keep in mind...the valet key will NOT lock or unlock the glove box...the valet key also acts a little differently when using it in the door I think...I also think you need a master key to to program another key yourself, but I'm not totally sure...in order to cut another master key you need the key code and a dealer may be the only way to go that...I would ask the locksmith if they can cut a new master even tho you only have a valet key...

·
Registered
268 Posts
You cannot program a master key from a valet key. So, you will have to do a reset of the computer, which wipes out the valet key and starts from scratch.

You can do this using Techstream. If you're not comfortable with this, by all means let the locksmith handle it for you. You don't want to end up with an undriveable car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a look at my valet key today and is marked w "G"

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
That means your transponder has a G chip. I believe there are two types of chips for the 2006-2012 models and they are either the G chip or the one with the Dot stamp on the key (4D-67) chip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means your transponder has a G chip. I believe there are two types of chips for the 2006-2012 models and they are either the G chip or the one with the Dot stamp on the key (4D-67) chip.
Thx for the info. Does this mean I have to use the "G" type transponder key?
Sounds logical...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Thx for the info. Does this mean I have to use the "G" type transponder key?
Sounds logical...

Yes. You can only replace your fob with one with a G stamp on it. Ensure the key is made for your vehicle also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts