Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Our 2011 Black RAV4 Limited has paint peeling on the driver side wheel well. Please see video and pictures. Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to fix this problem myself? I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars at a professional paint place, and I would like to make sure that the paint does not continue to peel, and then probably buy a tube of paint to replace where the old paint flaked off? Is that the best idea? Any other ideas or opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Video
https://youtu.be/ZT-c5R4EXM4

Attachments

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Interesting - the peeling in the photo is on a fender flare - apparently a Limited feature, not present on my '11 Base. Despite the cost, suggest that the vehicle be taken to a good auto body and paint shop to have a first class job done, especially since the rest of the paint on the RAV looks to be in great condition. Other members may have more useful suggestions.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Yes, the fender flare is a plastic part. As a result, when body shops repaint any plastic parts like fender flares or bumper covers, they add an "elastisizer" to the paint to make it flexible. My guess is the flare was repainted without any additive, and it got bumped which caused the paint to separate and flake.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got some 24 hour 2 part epoxy, that I got from my brother / who is a golf club maker.
- mixed up its shinny black
- for touch ups (small chips) I'll put it on a pop sickle stick and fill in the missing black paint
^^ On a large spot like that, dab black epoxy on a small brush & apply...cheap "poor man" fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts