Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2011 AWD 4 cylinder RAV 4. I have not changed the transmission fluid for 2 years. And, as a courier, I drive quite a bit. The car as 194K miles on it.

My regular oil change mechanic showed me my tranny fluid. It was gray and had not been changed since I first purchased the car. He urged me to change it ASAP.

Price shopping, I went to MIDAS, who quoted me $40 less than my oil change mechanic. I said OK, let's do this. He then told me, "I would leave this fluid in there forever. You've taken too long to change your fluid, and if you do it now, it could actually cause you problems."

So, which do you think is correct?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have a 2011 AWD 4 cyclinder RAV 4. I have not changed the transmission fluid for 2 years. And, as a courier, I drive quite a bit. The car as 194K miles on it.

My regular oil change mechanic showed me my tranny fluid. It was gray and had not been changed since I first purchased the car. He urged me to change it ASAP.

Price shopping, I went to MIDAS, who quoted me $40 less than my oil change mechanic. I said OK, let's do this. He then told me, "I would leave this fluid in there forever. You've taken too long to change your fluid, and if you do it now, it could actually cause you problems."

So, which do you think is correct?

Thanks!
Dan
I've heard that advice from more than a few mechanics. My 2c? If it was mine, I think I'd go ahead and change it and drop the pan to clean it out. I'd STRONGLY recommend you don't under any circumstances get talked into a flush. Drain-and-refill using only Toyota WS fluid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd flush it dwdwone. This is what we done about a year ago.

Follow this video. but DO NOT start the engine and run through the gears! All you're doing is mixing the new oil with the old oil, pretty dumb if you ask me. Follow my advice below.

My 2007 Rav4 2.4L automatic had 184,500 kms, and I suspect the ATF WS trans fluid has never been changed or replaced.
We drained the fluid first, removed the trans sump pan & filter. Cleaned everything (+ the 3 magnets), fitted a new filter and gasket, and torqued the filter & pan bolts up (filter 84 in-lbs, pan 67 in-lbs). (Trans drain plug to 35 ft-lbs)
Because we removed 4.5 litres of trans fluid, we put 4.5 litres back. (BTW, this is really a two man job). We then disconnected the LOWER hose return line connected to the trans spigot (see pic), joined it to a piece of clear 10mm hose (about 1 m long), with a short piece of 3/8" copper tubing. A 9 litre bucket was placed under the clear hose.
We started the engine in N, and took out 3 litres. It was very dark. Turned off the motor, and replaced another 3 litres. I think we did this 4 times, and the new Toyota ATF WS oil in the trans is now clean bright red! :)
All up, it cost about $AU270, it made a big difference! It's shifts like new! I used genuine Toyota ATF WS oil. It was a comparable price with aftermarket oils!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do not flush it with that high mileage.

Drop the fluid in the pan, replace with Toyota WS fluid only. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

This won't make your fluid red, it'll make it perform better but with 195k on it you're not gonna see the bright red colour it should be.

I'm at 276,000 km (175,000 miles I believe) and I've done 2 pan drops (drains 3.5 quarts each time) and replaced with another 3.5 quarts. My fluid is black as ever but that's the clutch pack material, and I do not believe the fluid is as bad as it looks.

I'll say it again - do not flush with that high mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts