Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just how do you really test out the 4wd on a Rav4 ? I know you can push sedu lock diff button and it will put a certain amount of power to the rear until you hit the brakes or exceed 25 mph. How do you really know it works ? Up on the lift an strap it in and run it ? When we bought the Rav 4 new in December 2011. It was terrible in the snow we even took it back to the dealer and the service rep really did not understand how this system worked. The service Rep. Said you had to push the seudo lock diff button if you wanted 4wd. Kind of silly. The Toyoy A20 tires had quite a bit of release grease and the the Rav during the second winter worked well ? Perhaps something else is going on here. Sometimes new tires don't get their grip until 500 miles. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Dedicated winter tires!

Dedicated winter tires!

Dedicated winter tires!

I believe most "all-season" tires do pretty poorly in snow. It really is all about "the rubber meeting the road."

I was very impressed with these on my RAV4 last winter: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV - The most advanced non-studded winter tire technology for drivers of SUVs / Nokian Tires

This may help explain how the RAV4 systems work, too:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/145578-4wd-lock-button-vsc-off-button-dac-button-how-they-work.html#post1432690

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm sure your 4 wheel drive works fine but if you want to make sure here is a perfect test...find a gravel road...dirt lot or nice big patch of green grass....disable your traction control by pushing and holding the traction control button in front of the cup holders for about 5-10 seconds...you will then have 2 or 3 lights illuminate on the dash...by doing this it turns off your traction control and allows the wheels to spin...now mash on the gas...if your 4 wheel drive is not working your front wheels will spin like crazy....if it is working you will either take right off or you will start to kick out sideways....feel free to do a few donuts at this time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts