Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current Mileage : 82,000
Driving Habits : Leisure, Long Distances, Towing < 1500lb

My front brakes are due for a change, the rear brakes could last a bit longer. I never owned a car with rear disc brakes, so what is the recommendation? Replace both F + R at the same time?

Second Question : I have successfully used aftermarket brake pads on my cars (and bikes), on the Rav4 do people usually stick with OEM ?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,970 Posts
My front brakes are due for a change, the rear brakes could last a bit longer. I never owned a car with rear disc brakes, so what is the recommendation? Replace both F + R at the same time?

Second Question : I have successfully used aftermarket brake pads on my cars (and bikes), on the Rav4 do people usually stick with OEM ?
The front brakes do about 80% of the work, so they wear faster. I would inspect the rears and if they still have a good amount of material, wait to change them next time you do the fronts.

I was very happy with the OEM pads, but they are expensive from the Toyota dealer. So I order the Advics pads from Amazon--they are identical to the OEM, come with the shims yet are less expensive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @JuneBug. i will inspect the rear brakes and take the decision. just read the great writeup (photos were amazing & clear) on rear brake pads replacement

·
Registered
310 Posts
What Junebug said! :)

Change the pads when they are done, not before unless you don't mind spending money unnecessarily. 1500 lbs isn't heavy towing....
Most aftermarket pads are fine ,but I do find that Toyota pads last a long time, are virtually dust free and quiet.
I might try the advics next time and if they are similar to the OEM pads, I'll keep using them......

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,970 Posts
I might try the advics next time and if they are similar to the OEM pads, I'll keep using them......
They are EXACTLY the same, the OEM pads have ADVICS stamped on them and so do the OEM calipers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
They are EXACTLY the same, the OEM pads have ADVICS stamped on them and so do the OEM calipers.
That's good to know....thanks Junebug! :) I've only got 80,000 km's on my corolla front brakes now, so I may need some in another 20-40,000 km's :)

·
Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
I look at it this way.........If I'm going to the trouble to inspect the brakes on a car with 82,000 miles they are ALL getting replaced!! If I have to remove wheels, remove pads to measure them and all that, they are going in the garbage and getting replaced. When do you inspect them again? Six months? Whenever you think about it? Never?

Not worth it to me. Fix it once, worry about it in another 82,000 miles. In all honesty I no longer do ANY work on cars other than air filters or changing a dead battery. I would pay for the brakes to be done all at once and be done with it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Brake pads are something easy to do, and easy to check whenever wheels are off without disassembling anything else, like when tires are rotated at each oil change.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Brake pads are something easy to do, and easy to check whenever wheels are off without disassembling anything else, like when tires are rotated at each oil change.
Very true.......I always get a heads up at inspection time any ways, on how my brakes are....they "always" want to change them prematurely too. Since I change them, I'll decide when they are due.
I rarely just pull off a tire to check the brake condition. Brake noise would be the only time I would check them , without having to have the tire off for another reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So the rear is fine ... will last some more time. But, guess what ADVICS1211 is not the right pads for my 2011 Rav4 4cyl. (Even though Amazon says it will fit). I happen to check Advics website now and they dont even list one for the 2011 Rav4 4cyl 2WD or 4WD. and 1211 is listed for the V6. Damn, i should have cross verified. :(

The Advics AD1211 brake pads from Amazon dont fit my 2011 Rav4 4WD 4 cyl :frown ... there is a portrusion in the bottom that dont slide in the carrier ....

OEM pad :: <wear clip indicator is out>

Advics AD1211 pad :: <pic from front, notice how i am holding it upwards with my finger>

Advics AD1211 pad :: <pic from rear of pad>

Advics on the left, OEM on the right :: <Notice Advics is longer>

OEM on to of Advics ::

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,970 Posts
So the rear is fine ... will last some more time. But, guess what ADVICS1211 is not the right pads for my 2011 Rav4 4cyl. (Even though Amazon says it will fit). I happen to check Advics website now and they dont even list one for the 2011 Rav4 4cyl 2WD or 4WD. and 1211 is listed for the V6. Damn, i should have cross verified. :(
You were supposed to get the ADVICS AD1210 for your 4cyl RAV4. The 1211 is only for the V6 or 3rd row equipped RAVs. Amazon will take them back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1210 is what you need. I just replaced my front ones with Wagner TQs piece of cake. I hated when it takes longer to take the tires off than to replace the pads... :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amazon chose the Advics 1211 for my Rav4 when i searched :surprise.

Ya, i will order the 1210 but had a trip planned this weekend. The current pads are 1.7mm left, guess i can make it. Might take the wear pins off. [I usually dont use brakes a lot]

You were supposed to get the ADVICS AD1210 for your 4cyl RAV4. The 1211 is only for the V6 or 3rd row equipped RAVs. Amazon will take them back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts