Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2011 Rav4 - 175k miles - transmission fluids - flush, exchange or top-up

277 4
In another thread on engine oil, I mentioned that I purchased a 2011 Rav4 with 175k miles. I assume that its transmission fluids and other fluids have not been replaced.

My mechanic (extremely reliable and honest), says transmission fluid flush is unnecessary, and moreover dangerous. His argument is that with high miles, and lot of gunk and debris is in between the gear cogs, and it is this debris that is holding the gear together. If the transmission is flushed, he claims that with the debris gone, the gears could start slipping. He just advocates topping up transmission fluid periodically.

1. Should I go with my mechanic and just top up the fluid
2. Do a fluid exchange
3. or Do a transmission flush

For options 2 or 3, I will have to sneak off to another mechanic or chain-shop.

Also, what about other fluids such as differential and engine coolant? My mechanic says to just top them up.

Thank you in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
2,049 Posts
With the coolant and diff oils, I would change as follows:

Diff oil - every 30k miles unless you tow, then half that
Engine oil/filter - every 5 to 7k miles
Coolant - every 4 years (for corrosion inhibitors)
Brake fluid - every 4 years

This is just my 2p worth BTW

· Registered
4,722 Posts
In another thread on engine oil, I mentioned that I purchased a 2011 Rav4 with 175k miles. I assume that its transmission fluids and other fluids have not been replaced.

My mechanic (extremely reliable and honest), says transmission fluid flush is unnecessary, and moreover dangerous. His argument is that with high miles, and lot of gunk and debris is in between the gear cogs, and it is this debris that is holding the gear together. If the transmission is flushed, he claims that with the debris gone, the gears could start slipping. He just advocates topping up transmission fluid periodically.

1. Should I go with my mechanic and just top up the fluid
2. Do a fluid exchange
3. or Do a transmission flush

For options 2 or 3, I will have to sneak off to another mechanic or chain-shop.

Also, what about other fluids such as differential and engine coolant? My mechanic says to just top them up.

Thank you in advance.
The only way to know for sure if it is risky to do a flush is drop the transmission pan and see what it looks like inside. If you see the fluid is thick and gunky then for sure do not do a flush. A return line flush is the way to go if you decide to do one instead of using those machine flusher. Coolant should be replaced at around 100,000 miles or 10 years which every comes first. Then every 3 or 4 years change the coolant. Just remember that coolant gets acidic over time which eats the seal. Just topping coolant will lead to problems if that is what you want. If you have a FWD the differential is shared in the transmission as one unit. If you have 4WD you have a front transfer case and a rear differential. Those oil should be changed at around 30,000 miles but not more than 60,000 miles. You should use synthetic gear oil which does not cost that much since you only need a quart to do both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts