Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if others have experienced this with their 4wd Ravs with Auto Trans. When you put it in drive does it appear as though there is an initial engagement that happens and a second later a second engagement happens ? Is this the front wheel drive engaging followed by the rear drive electronic clutch system engaging? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have the v6 but what you describe does not sound normal at all....it's possible that you have bad ujoints...does this 2 step thing happen in forward and reverse?

·
Registered
189 Posts
are you actually just feeling it? are those two engagements like harsh (or like slipping, no power when you put gas) or vibration (feel on vehicle's body)? if they are just you feel like it is changing gear, well, thats normal.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I was wondering if others have experienced this with their 4wd Ravs with Auto Trans. When you put it in drive does it appear as though there is an initial engagement that happens and a second later a second engagement happens ? Is this the front wheel drive engaging followed by the rear drive electronic clutch system engaging? Just curious.
I have a 2008 I4. I don't feel any of this.
Can you try moving from Reverse to Neutral, wait a few seconds and then move to Drive? Do you still feel the "2 step change" when you move to Drive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2001 does the same thing. Put it in drive and its goes into gear and pulls forward like its in gear then torque converter locks and its in gear solid. It's only a second or two between the transition. Not as noticeable if I go in reverse first or after its warmed up...I've only had this vehicle for a couple thousand miles. I bought it with 83,000 ...I don't foresee it becoming any worse,it hasn't so far..I'm thinking it's more the torque converter than the tranny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two step engagement is very subtle and not abrupt. I think the car is fine. I was just curious if others sense the same.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
The two step engagement is very subtle and not abrupt. I think the car is fine. I was just curious if others sense the same.
I think you nailed it in your first post. From a standing start, the electromagnet clutch kicks in to power the rear wheels, but only momentarily, then it drops out until it's needed again. This makes the 4WD RAV4 a little quicker off the line than the 2WD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts