Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am doing the oil change on my own today (dealer free services till date). I could not unscrew the drain plug, the entire filter housing started to unbolt. i unscrewed the entire housing, sprayed some light penetrating liquid around the lip of filter plug and tried give small bursts of impact with a driver holding the cartridge in hand. I am afraid to give some large force. The plug would not budge. Guess the dealer over tightened it? OR maybe they would never have taken this bolt off and just used impact to tighten :frown ... Anyone experienced this with dealer service before?

I replaced cartridge, cleaned the inside and put it back, but next oil change should i just get a new housing & drain plug. I am more about the small O-ring deteriorating over time. Current Mileage : 82K

Edit ::

Found the answer here {not sure why it didnt show up in the forum search} :: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/77234-oil-filter-plug-will-not-come-out.html .. Seriously, dealers do that?

I will buy a new housing and filter plug just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
number 1.....never use an impact on that.....just don't do it.....you have to be smarter than the filter housing.....that filter housing has some ribs on it...I take a double open ended box wrench and place one end against one of the ribs and the other end against the frame (I think it's the frame)....start to turn the drain access and the entire filter housing will start to turn....the wrench will then wedge between the frame and filter housing preventing the housing from turning but allowing the drain access cover to spin off...DO NOT USE AN IMPACT....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, no i did not use impact to take it off. I used a regular 3/8" ratchet extension, held the cartridge by hand and tried taking off the plug. The entire housing started to unscrew. Once unscrewed, I held the housing wrapped in a rag on my lap and tried to use short bursts of impact (if it would budge). The housing is plastic so am afraid to stick it in any kind of box wrench or large square channel locks. As stated in other thread, the OP heard from the service guy they tighten the plug tight so they only have to do 1 step to change the oil.

Used the Assenmacher Toy640 tool from Amazon to tighten the housing back at 18ft-lb

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i was unaware that the 4 banger had a plastic housing.....this is how i do my v6.....

as you can see the wrench prevents the housing from turning while letting the drain bolt come off....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The whole point of an impact wrench is pretty much lost if the part you're trying to remove from something isn't rigidly held. Hand holding it effective absorbs the impact so it's not surprising that this didn't work. I'd be tempted to adjust my oil change technique to just leave that plug in there so long as it's not leaking. Trying to remove it with force could result in a broken housing. Maybe you could chuck up the housing in some wooden jaws on a vice and then use a wrench with plenty of leverage to separate the plug?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,084 Posts
i was unaware that the 4 banger had a plastic housing.....this is how i do my v6.....

as you can see the wrench prevents the housing from turning while letting the drain bolt come off....
Your photo does not show up. I suggest you create an album on your profile page and upload any photos there.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Hmmm - rav4system's photo shows up loudly and clearly on my monitor . . .

·
Registered
67 Posts
It shows up clearly and yes, loudly too

·
Registered
2015 Rav4 XLE AWD
215 Posts
FWIW when I changed my oil at 7500 miles I replaced the plastic oil filter housing with the aluminum one and replaced the regular oil pan drain bolt with a magnetic one. My plan is to change the oil at 7500 mile intervals.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 7650 miles

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The whole point of an impact wrench is pretty much lost if the part you're trying to remove from something isn't rigidly held. Hand holding it effective absorbs the impact so it's not surprising that this didn't work. I'd be tempted to adjust my oil change technique to just leave that plug in there so long as it's not leaking. Trying to remove it with force could result in a broken housing. Maybe you could chuck up the housing in some wooden jaws on a vice and then use a wrench with plenty of leverage to separate the plug?

I must disagree a little...about something having to be held firm...while it certainly helps I don't think it's always needed...a perfect example is removing the nut that holds an alternator pulley on...hold pulley in the left hand and pull the trigger with the right hand...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,084 Posts
Hmmm - rav4system's photo shows up loudly and clearly on my monitor . . .
Yes, it's showing up now. That is until Photobucket deletes it for no reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts