Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@2011RAV4 did you take pictures where this flow sensor was located ?

No I didn't take any pics. I was just trying to get it done!

Here's a couple of stock pics. I will try and take a couple tomorrow! It;s small the opening on the compressor is only about the size of a quarter! You just need to look for the connector !

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
No I didn't take any pics. I was just trying to get it done!

Here's a couple of stock pics. I will try and take a couple tomorrow! It;s small the opening on the compressor is only about the size of a quarter! You just need to look for the connector !
So you're saying this sensor can be replaced without discharging the system and losing the refrigerant?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So you're saying this sensor can be replaced without discharging the system and losing the refrigerant?

The Flow Sensor sits ON (not in) the Compressor so you don't have to Discharge the system to change it!

The problem is getting enough room to get at the sensor! I had the system evacuated before I did it so I also took out the condenser to change the Desiccant Drier and have clear access to the Compressor . After doing it I think I may have had enough room to get the sensor out with just taking out the Radiator / Fan combo and the Cross member support that has the hood latch(no need to take hood latch off support) and take out the battery hold down! Like I said I can't guarantee it will give you enough room but it's worth a try!

I would also recommend instead of taking the radiator hoses off at the the Bottom of the radiator you take them off at the engine side to make it easier to get at the Sensor! I used this radiator hose tool remover to loosen up the hose making it easier to break the suction to get them off!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Astro-Pneumatic-Hose-Removal-Hook-Set-AST9502/301969494?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CHC%7CD25T%7C25-31_GARAGE%2FAUTOMOTIVE%7CNA%7CNA%7c71700000037147756%7c58700004141485310%7c92700035285887579&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhorVw9HE3AIV1IqzCh1CZwhYEAQYAiABEgK1CvD_BwE&dclid=CLPF0cvRxNwCFZBCNwod_bAMOg

If you can actually get the sensor off without taking the condenser out then the cost of the job would be around $75 instead of the $1,000+ Toyota wants to charge for replacing the Compressor.

Sensor $50 Ebay

Antifreeze 2 Gallons $24 " Valvoline Asian Vehicle Antifreeze" at Walmart for $12

BTW I have the 4cyl engine . I believe the 6cyl engine uses a different Compressor!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I boughtb used toyota rav4 2,5 4 cyl, it had broken blow sensor and I have problems with wiring, I bought new wire cable and I am going to buy new blow sensor can you help me with wiring? it has 3 cables whit, black and red.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello, I boughtb used toyota rav4 2,5 4 cyl, it had broken blow sensor and I have problems with wiring, I bought new wire cable and I am going to buy new blow sensor can you help me with wiring? it has 3 cables whit, black and red.
Thank you in advance
Read this thread. Seems like the easiest way to fix it. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey y’all wanted to bump this thread or any other for that matter. I have a 2010 base and same issue and I have to say I plopped a magnet on the sensor and sure enough she’s blowing cold air. It’s been 100 plus in NC for weeks with no end in sight and I couldn’t be happier. I can’t believe this is the fix, a magnet lol but it’s a done deal. Thanks for everyone who posted about the magnet fix all over the place.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That "magnet trick" will destroy the compressor. The proper fix is to replace that flow sensor for that compressor (I think it's TSE17C ?).

·
Registered
7 Posts
That "magnet trick" will destroy the compressor. The proper fix is to replace that flow sensor for that compressor (I think it's TSE17C ?).
Is this correct just pop the snap ring and put this new one in and plug it up?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yep. There will be no freon escaping, it's a magnetic sensor. And yes there is a C clip holding it - that needs to be squeezed out first.
Now, I am not sure if that's your exact compressor, it looks like it is. My V6 has a different one (without that flow sensor).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep. There will be no freon escaping, it's a magnetic sensor. And yes there is a C clip holding it - that needs to be squeezed out first.
Now, I am not sure if that's your exact compressor, it looks like it is. My V6 has a different one (without that flow sensor).
How long am I good with the magnet? For a little bit? I ordered one bit I would like to drive around with AC now lol

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Is this correct just pop the snap ring and put this new one in and plug it up?
Read this thread where a member wrote steps to replace the flow sensor. He paid only $16 for his flow sensor which is a Denso.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How long am I good with the magnet? For a little bit? I ordered one bit I would like to drive around with AC now lol

You can find everything you need and a STEP BY STEP on the easiest way to do it on this thread

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had issues with AC not blowing cold air. Went to local Radiator/AC shop & after a service it was discovered i had self overcharged the system by 0.64lbs. system capacity is 0.99lbs. its easy to overcharge the system using DIY pressure gauges. AC works fine now.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts