Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. Just picked up a 2011 Rav4 BASE (thought was Sport) 2 weeks ago. I read thru all the threads about aftermarket head units and decided on the MyronDavis unit since it was very affordable on eBay and they are USA based for support. In my dash there is a wire with a blue connector that's wrapped with the antenna wire. This wire doesn't connect to the Myron Davis head unit. Just wondering what it's for and if it needs to be connected? I connected everything that was able to be connected and all is working fine. I'm attaching a picture of the wire, I'm sure someone here knows what it is. Thx!

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
That looks like the connector for the XM satellite antenna, which is built into the base of your AM/FM antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like the connector for the XM satellite antenna, which is built into the base of your AM/FM antenna.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thx!

I did notice in another thread about their being an issue with audio dropping out on FM stations. I am noticing the audio on FM being a bit spotty so far. Something about their being some power fed to the antenna.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
Yeah, it's possible that the blue plug is the power to the FM amplifier in the antenna. I can't really tell without seeing the end of the plug.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seems like the '01 (European) RAV's also has the XM radio antenna built in then!
I guess it would have cost Toyota more to put on a "normal" antenna for the European models so they just didn't bother :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't remember seeing that blue connector when I replaced my 2011 factory stereo with a Kenwood unit. The unit I removed was the non-JBL unit with XM and 6 disc changer so maybe yours is different. I do remember the silver plug being the FM antenna and the gray plug shown in the right of your picture as the XM antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember seeing that blue connector when I replaced my 2011 factory stereo with a Kenwood unit. The unit I removed was the non-JBL unit with XM and 6 disc changer so maybe yours is different. I do remember the silver plug being the FM antenna and the gray plug shown in the right of your picture as the XM antenna.
I'm assuming mine is a non-JBL as I don't see anything with a JBL logo in the vehicle. Is there a way I can check?

I'm thinking that blue plug must be the Sat. radio, it was plugged into the factory head unit right next to the FM antenna and is just one single hole in it. The plug you're seeing in the background in my picture is actually the Hazard button plug. I did notice another plug that was wrapped up towards the back of the bundle that was un-used, my guess was maybe that was steering wheel controls since I don't have those? :shrug:

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
I'm really surprised a 2011 Sport DIDN'T come with steering wheel audio controls. If it didn't, then it must not have come with the 6-disc changer, and if so it didn't come with XM either. As a result, I'm going to guess that blue plug is for antenna amp power. On the RAV4 without XM, the satellite antenna wire is terminated in the rear quarter panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'm starting to wonder if this is a Sport or not. Maybe it's just a base Rav4. I purchased at CarMax and they had Sport listed. All I can find online from the VIN is that it's a Rav4 Hard Top 4D. The VIN is: 2T3BF4DV4BW106342.

It has no steering wheel controls, no USB port, no garage door opener on the rear view (grrr), but I do have a rear view camera that's in the mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: according to vin-decoder.net my Rav4 is a BASE version and not the Sport. Sorry for the confusion. So now if that blue plug was for amp power, my next issue is what wire to connect that to on the Myron Davis head unit? I don't believe that unit has a power antenna or amp lead by default. I'll check again, maybe one of the accessory plugs has an amp lead that would work. But I also need to make sure that blue plug is in fact for the Rav4 antenna amp power. Thx for all the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
after i changed my stereo to the sony xav-ax 3000, my AM radio stopped working, i also have that same blue wire. I don't use AM so im not that worried, but would connecting that blue wire to a 12v fix the radio reception?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
after i changed my stereo to the sony xav-ax 3000, my AM radio stopped working, i also have that same blue wire. I don't use AM so im not that worried, but would connecting that blue wire to a 12v fix the radio reception?
That blue wire does not have anything to do with the AM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts