Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put led in for my drl and they worked for like a minute and stoped working. Check fuses everything looks good but then I find out my tails and my plate light don’t work. Checked all fuses and I think the right relays. Has anyone had this problem b4.... PLEASE NEED HELP

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
You should check the fuse with a muti-meter since a visual inspection may not catch a hairline crack. One of the fuse must be blown since the other lights are not working.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I don't know about the other lights being out but the short answer is LEDs won't light as DRLs.

The DRL system uses several relays to connect the high beam bulbs in series which puts about 7 volts across each bulb. The LEDs I've used have a minimum voltage requirement of 8 volts so they won't light in the DRL circuit (but still work as high beams).

On our RAV4 I've installed halo headlight fixtures which look great as DRLs so I specifically wanted to shut the stock DRLs off. Putting LEDs in the high beams did that for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check you tail 10amp spot 16. Inside fuse panel, below and left of steering wheel.
The high beam led i had on there all it does is flicker while the drl are on. Quite annoying so i took it out. Or disable the drl with Techstream software.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dr. Dyno said it right regarding the DRL circuit. While the lower voltage works with halogens, it just doesn't work with typical LED drivers. You'll need a special LED DRL driver that accepts lower voltage, which modulates to reduce the current, thus, lowering the LED intensity for DRL purpose. The only one that I know that works this way is from XenonDepot, which I have it in the wife's Highlander.

The ECM thinks you have a short circuit, thus, other lights may be nonfunctional. You can disable the DRL function by replacing DRL relay #3 with a SPST one, without using Techstream, see this post.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
The ECM thinks you have a short circuit, thus, other lights may be nonfunctional.
I don't think the DRL circuit has anything to do with the other lights not working since LEDs draw much less power than halogens, the opposite of a short circuit, especially when they're connected in series.

Probably the best diagnostic check would be to reinstall the stock high beam bulbs.

The CarRover LEDs in my high beams work just fine for that and just don't light as DRLs. They have no effect on any other lights. I probably should swap the relay so they don't get any power.

Other than using the ones KTL mentioned it would take some fancy circuit modifications to make LEDs work as DRLs and even then I wouldn't want their little fans running full time anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts