Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2011 rav4 4 cylinder.

I'm looking for a engine bay strut brace bar can't seem to find one, any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Huh? In my '11 RAV it's impossible to miss it, assuming that you're referring to the bar which holds the hood open when one is checking the oil and coolant, and checking and servicing the items in the engine bay. It's held in place by a bracket on top of the plastic engine coolant reserve/overflow tank. Is there another configuration for RAVs with the 4 cyl. engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh? In my '11 RAV it's impossible to miss it, assuming that you're referring to the bar which holds the hood open when one is checking the oil and coolant, and checking and servicing the items in the engine bay. It's held in place by a bracket on top of the plastic engine coolant reserve/overflow tank. Is there another configuration for RAVs with the 4 cyl. engine?

No I'm not talking about the hood prop rob the strut brace bar is a large bar that connects to both strut towers and is visible over the engine

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
The only piece which I know of which comes near to your description is connected to the front strut towers by brackets and is concealed behind and under the plastic cover under the cowling and runs between the strut tower brackets.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
I knew what the OP meant, just not why a RAV4 would need one, or benefit other than looking impressive when opening the hood. :roll:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I knew what the OP meant, just not why a RAV4 would need one, or benefit other than looking impressive when opening the hood. :roll:
the benefit is increased handling, stability and reduced body roll...some owners like to just drive around and enjoy the scenery while others get a thrill from pushing the envelope...when i had my stock wheels and run flat tires my rav handled like it was on rails...many times i was able to pull ahead of other cars simply because my rav handled well and i knew it...while i dont condone that type of driving and have removed those wheels and tires and put ones on that would cause me to roll if i tried that type of driving now i do understand the desire to have a better handling vehicle...sometimes it just feels good to whip around a corner and feel those g forces...:ponder:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
As RTexasF said:

I've had that on my '08 Limited for about five years or so along with their larger rear anti sway bar. Hard cornering at excessive speed yields a sharp and flat (very little body roll) response. The only negative is that it has to come off to service the air filter.
I just wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
I don't know whether it is worth the expense and bother unless perhaps one is into actual racing. The only limiting factor I've encountered while taking sharp curves at relatively high speed (we have them in abundance here!) is tire adhesion with the stability control switched off, and the possibility of ending up in one of the rivers a hundred feet or so down the roadside cliffs. Body roll is reduced by having 40 psi in the tires . . .

·
Registered
207 Posts
the benefit is increased handling, stability and reduced body roll...some owners like to just drive around and enjoy the scenery while others get a thrill from pushing the envelope...when i had my stock wheels and run flat tires my rav handled like it was on rails...many times i was able to pull ahead of other cars simply because my rav handled well and i knew it...while i dont condone that type of driving and have removed those wheels and tires and put ones on that would cause me to roll if i tried that type of driving now i do understand the desire to have a better handling vehicle...sometimes it just feels good to whip around a corner and feel those g forces...:ponder:
rav4system...Man have you opened a wonderful can of worms here. For those who are financially limited (like me), I'd first opt for a rear anti-roll bar to reduce body roll. Second would be a strut/stress bar to sharpen the steering which is fine now, but...

As an elder hooligan >:D I still "get a thrill from pushing the envelope" and still "condone that type of driving...sometimes it just feels good to whip around a corner and feel those g forces." Well said; you've nailed it. So, I must ask, What did you do with your stock wheels?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts