Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm almost 100% ready to buy my 2011 Rav4 Sport, until i discovered that it doesn't come with a spare tire. I understand run flat technology and all but I drive long distance and can't take that risk w/o a spare.

Is there any option for a spare in the Sport Edition???

Any way I can get around this problem?!!??

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There's no option from factory for a spare tire on the sport model with SAP. Go read your previous post. You ask about the spare already. I told you that you can use the spare tire from the CR-V, but you need a hubcentric ring.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The "sport appearance package" and the Sport model are two separate things. If you want a Sport model RAV4 but with a spare on the back instead of run-flats, then do not order the sport appearance package for your Sport model RAV4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So essentially if I stick with the Sport Appearance Package of the Rav4 SPort I HAVE TO replace my tires with new run flats? damn that throws cheap maintenance costs out the window.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
fattt91 said:
So essentially if I stick with the Sport Appearance Package of the RAV4 SPort I HAVE TO replace my tires with new run flats? damn that throws cheap maintenance costs out the window.
You don't have to. You can get a plug kit, and good air pump and/or a fix-a-flat can. Also have a charged cell phone and a list of numbers that you can call to get a tow truck. Your modern GPS could serve as a list of phone numbers.

But yes, paying extra for the run-flat tires is probably a good idea for those who are less willing or able to deal with repairing tires on the road. RFTs are good for people who don't want to deal with replacing wheels on the side of the road. RFTs are especially good for those who do a lot of travel through places where stopping to change a tire is unsafe.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
fattt91 said:
So essentially if I stick with the Sport Appearance Package of the RAV4 SPort I HAVE TO replace my tires with new run flats? damn that throws cheap maintenance costs out the window.
If you want a good looking rav4, you gotta pay the price. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: 2011 RAV4 Sport SPARE TIRE!!!!

fattt91 said:
So I'm almost 100% ready to buy my 2011 RAV4 Sport, until i discovered that it doesn't come with a spare tire. I understand run flat technology and all but I drive long distance and can't take that risk w/o a spare.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It might be useful to summarize this here for future reference and searching:

1. The RAV4 Sport comes standard with regular (non run-flat) tires and a spare mounted to the rear door.

2. The Sport Appearance Package (SAP) is an extra group of options only available on the RAV4 Sport. Its most important characteristics are the deletion of the rear-mounted spare tire and the replacement of the regular tires with run-flat tires.

3. At this point in time, there is no way to get a sleek, smooth, spare tire-less rear door on either a Base or a Limited. If you want the no-spare-tire look, the RAV4 Sport with the SAP is the only option.

4. If you want factory-installed run-flat tires, you cannot get a factory-installed spare tire (you'd think this was self-evident, but clearly it isn't).

Hope this is helpful in some way somewhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I never know about this I thought all V6 4X4 Sports comes with run flat and no spare before I bought my limited I called alot of dealers and none of them have spare that came with the V6 4X4 Sports but this one guy special ordered V6 4x4 sports with out run flat with spare and it's all loaded and the price was higher than my limited so I went with the limited. Oh I also went o toyota.com and every time I built my own Rav4 when I select sports v6 4x4 it never showed one with the spare until now when I go back to the site and just for the heck of it I select the same sports edition and now it comes with the spare and with the option of the sports package. F&^# could of save me alot of money with out having to buy the sports rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm almost 100% ready to buy my 2011 Rav4 Sport, until i discovered that it doesn't come with a spare tire. I understand run flat technology and all but I drive long distance and can't take that risk w/o a spare.

I almost bought d Rav4 sport Appearance model xtaday until i found out it has no spare tire. Not a good innovation, my candid opinion. It is beautiful but not without a spare. It is out of it

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
At this stage it probably will be difficult to get exactly what you want. You could buy the Sport you were considering and buy a wheel and tire as a spare (perhaps less expensive at an auto salvage yard) and keep it in the rear storage area, but it would need to be secured so that it wouldn't become a deadly flying projectile in the event of a crash. The tire on the purchased wheel doesn't need to be a run flat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts