Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced transaxle WS at 60K miles.

At 70K miles had hard shift from 2nd into 3rd gear, got worst after a few days so replaced WS oil again at 70K miles. No check engine light on but scanned anyways and got a P0776. Pressure control solenoid B performance or stuck off, shift solenoid valve SL2.
Trouble area:
*Shift solenoid valve SL2 remains open
*Valve body is blocked
*Automatic transaxle(Clutch, torque converter, bearings, gears, etc)
*ECM

Took it to Toyota stealers, explained and Rav went into bay. Tech came back saying NO DTC codes at all and WS oil was clean. WTF.. Its shifting hard and late when going from 2nd into 3rd gear, also using an expensive ODB2 reader P0776 was there without the check engine light on.

They denied that the P0776 DTC was present. Must have Removed/cleared the DTC code and are aware of the ECU flaw (money maker) which will damage the transaxle unless you immediately reset it by disconnecting the battery for an hour. The ECM must be secretly programmed to NOT activate the check engine light with only a P0776 DTC code. (hoping to cash in a more expensive repair).

"Tech explained that the check engine light would have to be on, in order to be sure of a faulty solenoid.."

When the check engine light eventually comes on with the P0776 present there will also, always be other codes as well. (To late, Transaxle now needs rebuilding).

By the way, Disconnecting the battery for an hour corrects the issue completely!

Toyota Stealers NEVER made this recommendation!

Tech said that they only drop the pan, test solenoid, flush WS oil and look for metal debris in the pan when the check engine light is on and displays P0776. (At this point your transaxle is gone and rebuild is needed)

I asked to have this done now before things get worst. (I was quoted $450 for the solenoid alone) They had a worried look on their face, discouraging me and was told it may not correct the problem... I replied, well if this is so then we are sure its a transaxle issue, so carry on with the Re Re of the transaxle...

Of course, replacing the solenoid, cleaning the valve body and flushing will never corrected your issue, you will still have the problem, unless you disconnect the battery for an hour to reset the ECM.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
11,333 Posts
I'd take it to a transmission shop since apparently your dealer doesn't have transmission experts. But I'm not surprised you could have codes w/o the CE coming on. From my experience the error light, whether ABS, 4WD, etc. stays off even tho I can read codes. Must be until "enough" codes accumulate?

In your other post you mention "I was able to solve it with a simple fix using a box key." Does that mean it's fixed and what's a box key?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the problem was corrected with a wrench, disconnect the battery for an hour. If your having issues in which 1st and 2nd gears work fine from acceleration but 3rd gear goes in late and you have a P0776 code with no CE light, simply disconnect the battery for an hour. It seems to reboot the ECM back to a normal function of the transmission's function. Over 300 miles since doing so and no hiccups so far.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,970 Posts
Sounds like an easy fix even the pro mechanics don't seem to know about. So, all it takes is a box-end wrench on the battery terminal?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently an open end wrench won't work.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, disconnecting the battery with an open end wrench corrects the above topic.

If your having issues in which 1st and 2nd gears work fine from acceleration but 3rd gear goes in late, hard and you have a P0776 code with no CE light, simply disconnect the battery for an hour. It seems to reboot the ECM back to a normal function of the transmission's function.

I've put over 1000 miles since starting this post. Transmission shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flushing the transmission (Not draining, filling) corrected the problems with the solenoids and associated codes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts