Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to replace my shift knob it's all worn and disgusting

I bought some trd manual shift knob off Amazon but this thing clearly DOES NOT fit

Any suggestions on adapters?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If the shift knob you got is too loose you have options....
Wrap tape or something like that around the threads of the shifter shaft to make up the extra space and twist and force the new shifter on...maybe add some adhesive to keep it from moving around...
What I have done is fill the shift knob with JB Weld and let it cure...then use a drill bit that is a little smaller than the threaded shift shaft and drill out some of the jb weld...if it is not centered correctly the shift knob will be off kilter a little...
If the shift knob opening is too small your only option is to drill it out to make it bigger...

Also could you post a link to the shift knob you got?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the shift knob you got is too loose you have options....
Wrap tape or something like that around the threads of the shifter shaft to make up the extra space and twist and force the new shifter on...maybe add some adhesive to keep it from moving around...
What I have done is fill the shift knob with JB Weld and let it cure...then use a drill bit that is a little smaller than the threaded shift shaft and drill out some of the jb weld...if it is not centered correctly the shift knob will be off kilter a little...
If the shift knob opening is too small your only option is to drill it out to make it bigger...

Also could you post a link to the shift knob you got?

http://www.amazon.com/TRD-Motorsport-Leather-Stitch-Shifter/dp/B00BGYL8MS

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No disrespect intended, but that looks like a least-effort third world rip off. Most manufacturers include lockable pliable inserts to fit different shafts. For that price, I would probably pass and try another maker.
Yeah I understand cheap price but it seems pretty for for what it's worth I just need to find a adapter I can put on my shift level or shaft that I can attach this knob to

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i would not get that simply because it has the shift pattern stamped on the top....the blue lexus isf shift knob is nice...not cheap, but it does screw right on...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Yeah I understand cheap price but it seems pretty for for what it's worth I just need to find a adapter I can put on my shift level or shaft that I can attach this knob to
You should read the Amazon reviews and comments on that shift knob. Found this in the first comment:

Toyota manual transmission cars use M12x1.25 threads on their shift knobs.
Automatic transmission use M8x1.25 threads.
I made an adapter and mounted this knob and a 2012 Camry just fine. If you can make or find the proper adapter, it would mount just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts