Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

A relatively common scenario for me: I'll reverse out of my parking spot, stop, put it in drive, and turn the wheel to pull away. After I turn the wheel, I feel a clunk that seems to come from the rear end. This never happens in normal driving steering back and forth, only after I have backed out and putting in drive to turn. It doesn't feel like the trans suddenly grabbing the clutches, though it could be. I'm always stopped fully when I shift from R to D. Feels like it's something that suddenly grabs. Fresh fluids in the trans, t-case, and diff, but this was present before and after flushes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've had this same clunk you describe with our 2006 V6 AWD over the years. Its not something I've ever been able to reliably replicate; it just seems to happen every now and then. Asked the dealer to check it out several times, but they've never found an issue. I'd be interested to know if you do ever find an issue that needs repair.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had this same clunk you describe with our 2006 V6 AWD over the years. Its not something I've ever been able to reliably replicate; it just seems to happen every now and then. Asked the dealer to check it out several times, but they've never found an issue. I'd be interested to know if you do ever find an issue that needs repair.
thanks for the input. it really feels like something trying to engage - rear diff or something. I could have sworn a fluid flush would have corrected it but it's still present.. though, now that i've said that, it hasn't done it for a while. maybe after another flush it will be completely gone.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
both my rav4 did this, it's mostly happens when I back up while turning a bit, then drive forward. I always figured it's the rear diff engaging when there is a torque differential between the rear wheels.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both my rav4 did this, it's mostly happens when I back up while turning a bit, then drive forward. I always figured it's the rear diff engaging when there is a torque differential between the rear wheels.

thanks for the input - that's roughly what I was thinking, and probably the source of it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts