Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise the battery is 100% covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. No proration!

The dealer with the better reputation and farther away said to plan on at least 4 hours to swap the battery. The other dealer said to just stop in and it would take about 45 minutes.

It did take 45 minutes. When I looked under the hood they had left out all the plastic clips on the plastic piece that covers the front battery hold down bolt. The tech was called and came out with the old clips, one which was broken.

Today I noticed that they also did not reinstall the plastic battery cover. The service advisor was not happy and went into the back to find out why. The mechanics all said that they never reinstall them because they do not fit well with the replacement Toyota batteries. They just throw them away so mine was gone. He did show me that the new batteries have a little protrusion along the top sides for a strap, This makes the cover bulge a bit.

Usually a manufacturer only includes a part that adds to the cost if they feel it is needed. I realize that a lot of cars have them and a lot do not. Does anyone know what the design purpose of these is and if its worth putting it back on?

They are ordering a new one.
Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^ I thought battery covers, also helps batteries perform better in sub zero winter weather.

Your Guide to Understanding Car Battery Covers | eBay
Exposure of a car battery to high temperatures owing to heat from the engine is common. In such a scenario, a battery cover, plate, or box protects it, and terminal covers keeps them free from corrosion. Apart from shielding batteries, such products also safeguard the engine in the event that a battery leaks or explodes.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Much to my surprise the battery is 100% covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. No proration!
The dealer with the better reputation and farther away said to plan on at least 4 hours to swap the battery. The other dealer said to just stop in and it would take about 45 minutes.
It did take 45 minutes. When I looked under the hood they had left out all the plastic clips on the plastic piece that covers the front battery hold down bolt. The tech was called and came out with the old clips, one which was broken.
Today I noticed that they also did not reinstall the plastic battery cover. The service advisor was not happy and went into the back to find out why. The mechanics all said that they never reinstall them because they do not fit well with the replacement Toyota batteries. They just throw them away so mine was gone. He did show me that the new batteries have a little protrusion along the top sides for a strap, This makes the cover bulge a bit.
Usually a manufacturer only includes a part that adds to the cost if they feel it is needed. I realize that a lot of cars have them and a lot do not. Does anyone know what the design purpose of these is and if its worth putting it back on?
Thanks
Perhaps the "4 hour dealer" would have replaced all the clips and figured out how to re-install the cover!>:D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts

Thanks
Yeah, my first battery was replaced under warranty, but the Toyota Truestart replacement battery only lasted 2 years. They also removed the cover that wrapped around the battery, but I didn't mention it to them. It didn't seem to do much to protect the original battery. I hope they replaced all the plastic clips they lost or broke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had to have mine replaced today, my 3/36mi warranty expires in November! They put the new battery in the cover, and it doesn't have the nice snug fit of the original battery but it does fit. It's the Toyota Truestart 84 month, although they said it expires with the factory warranty. Not sure where it says that, but hopefully I can get several years out of it. They managed to not break any clips either. Sounds like you had a bad experience and may want to start going to another dealer.

They must have a really fast trash service if you were still at the dealership, it seems to me if you wanted the cover they could have at least given it to you from the bin. Maybe they didn't want you knowing that it does actually fit!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yep, that's the exact same battery they installed for me. Lasted exactly 25 months. As you can see, they didn't put back the battery cover:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think that cover helps insulates the battery from heat and cold somewhat. Maybe that's why the replacement didn't last? When I needed a new battery it was well past warranty so I went to Costco. I reused the cover and it fit perfectly to the replacement battery.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
I think that cover helps insulates the battery from heat and cold somewhat. Maybe that's why the replacement didn't last?
I doubt it. The replacement battery without the cover lasted one month longer than the original!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I think that cover helps insulates the battery from heat and cold somewhat. Maybe that's why the replacement didn't last? When I needed a new battery it was well past warranty so I went to Costco. I reused the cover and it fit perfectly to the replacement battery.
I just had to replace the original battery in my 2010 V6, as it started to crank noticeably slower yesterday. Went to Costco, as you did and picked up an Interstate last night. Installed it this morning and the original cover fit just like yours. Are Toyota batteries larger than some other brands?

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
When my OEM battery split open and the replacement Toyota battery didn't even make it two years I pitched that stupid cover thing. I saw no practical use for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts