Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ordering and receiving the 2012 4WD V6 Limited Toyota OEM HD Tow Hitch I finally got around to starting the install during some of the hottest and high humidity days in Florida.

Just wanted to say thanks to all past posts and photos from this forum and to share and reinforce some ideas.

1. Buy and use a Tap with lube to clean out the main mounting holes to save you some major pain. Takes a while to clean the 6 main bolt locations but again worth your time. Get a square drive socket to hold the tap as there is limited area to turn the tap or plan on using a 8 mm 12 point socket that should fit the tap square shank. A ratcheting wretch of 8 mm with a 12 point opening will also work.

2. After you jack up the rear of the car to for better access to install the Tow Hitch, have a second set of jack stands to hold / support the main (heavy) part of the hitch assembly. Or get someone to help. I did the install solo and at times worried about the jack stand helper support.

Enjoy but be safe ...
IMG_7068.jpeg
IMG_7064.jpeg
IMG_7070.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few final comments

1. Use the tap to clean out the threads in the hitch assembly parts before you start assembly. Same with all the thread holes in the car.

2. Keep all bolts loose till you check for center placement of the hitch receiver. At rest while loose the hitch receiver was not centered and the final support plates inside the car did not align with the final under car mounting plates. Worst case offset was on the passenger side plate. You could grind the slots bigger but if you center the hitch receiver it should go together easier.

Best of luck... The V6 exhaust system does cramp the access to the passenger side install but you can swing it due to the rubber mount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some last minute grinding and filing the RH Stiffener Bracket (C) the final last of the Tow Hitch Assembly was completed.

See photos are to the areas I had to grind drill file to allow for the final right side hook up.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hate that Toyota didn't put the stiffeners from factory on the V6 RAV4's sold with "towing package", that are rated to tow 3500 lbs.

A lot of people put non-OE tow hitches, that came without those lateral stiffeners, and they think is "fine". Personally I think that is dangerous, if towing close to the 3500 lbs limit. It will allow the rear mounting rails to deform laterally. Toyota did the calcs/testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts