Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
The air conditioning on my RAV4 (Base model AWD) does not work when outside temperature is over 85 F. Below 85 F it work great.

I was thinking of adding refrigerant and cannot find how much refrigerant needs to be added. Does anyone know what quantity of refrigerant should be added ?

Is there anything else I should check.

This is my first post, if any more details are required please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You don't have the ability to figure this out anyway, as you'd need the ability to remove what's in there, weigh it, then add in the total amount listed on the sticker under the hood. This takes a variety of highly specialized fittings and equipment.

If you want it done right, use an automotive refrigerant technician, but he'll figure it out himself, no need for you to supply any info. However, if you want an interim fix to get you through, pick up one of the refrigerant cans and a charging hose from any auto parts store. It'll get you back in the game, assuming all you need is some refrigerant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. But how much refrigerant should I add. I don't want to overfill. In terms of PSI is it 19 PSI for RAV4 ?

I am planning to buy one of the refrigerants that come with a gauge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's not really how refrigerant works. Pressure is not really the indicator of how much refrigerant a system has. 6 ounces of refrigerant can be 150psi at one temperature and 50 psi at another temperature. Just follow the instructions on the can and it'll get you in the ballpark. If you want it closer than that, you'll have to take it to a shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts