Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i'm confuse because i saw in google my 2012 rav4 4 cyl is suppose to do 24 mpg in city and is only doing 16.6 average is something wrong with the car or i have to go to the dealer and complain about it? i was checking on the internet first before i go there any suggestion? thanks.:frown

i only have it for 2 weeks thats why im asking, im new with this car and no idea about it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You've had it 2 weeks and you have gone thru maybe 1.5 tanks of gas most likely...are you using the MPG readout on the speedo cluster? If so then don't...you must track your miles and then divide that by the number of gallons of gas used and this must be done over several tanks...and many factors play a roll in gas mileage so Joe Blow my get 24 and you may get more or less...

·
Registered
118 Posts
It doesn't matter if you're new to this car or driving a lamborghini or driving a big truck. To get accurate mpg you must fill your tank and reset your trip odometer. Drive 'til empty and then see how many gallons it takes to refill. Divide the miles you've traveled by the numbers of gallons you refilled to get your mpg. Do this several times to get a good average of what your car gets. Don't rely on the car doing it accurately for you and don't calculate when you haven't even driven much.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Probably nothing wrong with the RAV4 just a difference between your "city" driving and the EPA's city cycle. A heavy right foot (like mine :)), hilly terrain and lots of traffic lights with idling can reduce mileage significantly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
+1 Dr. Dyno above
check the air in the tires, I overinflate to 38psi but i like the firm ride.
I also endeavor to accelerate while keeping under 2K RPM. it will do it just slowly.
you start to loose MPG to wind resistance somewhere around 35mph, and she will hang out at 2K RPM at just shy of 50mph.
you could reduce weight but I have a 2007 base AWD 4cyl and i just yesterday filled up at 28mpg, i avg about 25-27 in mixed driving.

Not saying you dont have a physical problem with your vehicle but I would clear the things under my control before looking to external parties.
I am just like that.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Much of the EPA's mileage figures are supplied by the car makers themselves, who are supposed to test vehicles according to EPA guidelines. But car makers obviously want to present good mileage figures, especially with increasingly restrictive CAFE standards. The result often is that actual mileage which owners obtain may differ, but not always, considerably from published EPA figures. On the other hand there have been instances where owners have obtained better fuel mileage than EPA data. As noted in previous posts there are several factors which influence fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Let me at your RAV. I bet I can make it only get 12 mpg. And wear out a set of tires and brake pads in less than 10K.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I'll keep the rubber side down as little as possible.
Sorry but wheels off the ground will give inaccurate mileage readings - and :egad: other possible errors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had this same problem for YEARS, horrible MPG. I changed so many things to find the problem, ignition coils, plugs, tires, fuel injectors, O2 sensors, evap pumps, nothing worked. Then, finally, I changed the charcoal canister to a used on off ebay after getting some codes. Wa-la! 24 mpg was restored. I am shocked that the canister could cause mpg issues, but after YEARS of horrible mpg, it was fixed. Theres a ebay seller that sells a lot of these (I paid $120 and put it on myself) The ebay user id is lpb_books and here is a link to their items for sale (I got the one titled Toyota Rav4 SCION TC Fuel Vapor Charcoal Canister 77740-42090 77740-0R010 lpb_books | eBay

Wish someone had figured this one out for me years ago. I lost so much money on gas getting 16 mpg

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I had this same problem for YEARS, horrible MPG. I changed so many things to find the problem, ignition coils, plugs, tires, fuel injectors, O2 sensors, evap pumps, nothing worked. Then, finally, I changed the charcoal canister to a used on off ebay after getting some codes. Wa-la! 24 mpg was restored. I am shocked that the canister could cause mpg issues, but after YEARS of horrible mpg, it was fixed. Theres a ebay seller that sells a lot of these (I paid $120 and put it on myself) The ebay user id is lpb_books and here is a link to their items for sale (I got the one titled Toyota Rav4 SCION TC Fuel Vapor Charcoal Canister 77740-42090 77740-0R010 lpb_books | eBay

Wish someone had figured this one out for me years ago. I lost so much money on gas getting 16 mpg
Well, can't argue with success! I just don't see how the canister could affect the mileage to that extent. All it does is recycle gas fumes. Is it possible the canister was leaking fuel on the ground?

·
Registered
310 Posts
So where is the charcoal canister located? I wonder if you could just bypass it for a tank to test out the theory.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The canister wasn't leaking fuel. I have no idea why it made such a huge difference in mpg. I assumed it couldn't affect mpg, that's why I never chose to replace it, until now. But, the poor efficiency that several members have noted (included me -> 16 mpg) is a real problem for some people. I am happy to have found my solution! The canister is under the drivers seat in a cage-like metal bracket. It's easy to get to and easy to replace it yourself as long as you are careful removing the connectors and hoses running to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts