Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While my 2012 RAV4 was idling in park, the engine suddenly raced into the red area and stayed there. Nothing was in contact with the accelerator. Only the factory floor mat is installed, and it was properly placed. I immediately turned the ignition off.

This happened in the middle of a tiny, crowded parking lot at a local vegetable mart. People were walking back and forth in front of the car. If this had happened while the car was in gear, it most certainly could have resulted in grave injury or death.

It's in for state inspection. The service manager is road testing it, as I write. I'm expecting no response. The problem just happened once, and I expect it will be impossible to reproduce on demand. Am wondering about the next step.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Welcome! There have been other complaints about throttle problems with apparently primarily Gen. 3 RAVs. For what it's worth, a quote from Wikipedia about the issue:

"Software or electronic failures within the ETC have been suspected by some to be responsible for alleged incidents of unintended acceleration. A series of investigations by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) were unable to get to the bottom of all of the reported incidents of unintended acceleration in 2002 and later model year Toyota and Lexus vehicles. A February 2011 report issued by a team from NASA (which studied the source code and electronics for a 2005 Camry model, at the request of NHTSA) did not rule out software malfunctions as a potential cause.[3] In October 2013, the first jury to hear evidence about Toyota's source code (from expert witness Michael Barr (software engineer)) found Toyota liable for the death of a passenger in a September 2007 unintended acceleration collision in Oklahoma.[4]"

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Dale, did you have your foot on the brake at the time? The 2012 came with something called SmartStop technology which should have dropped the throttle back to below 2000 if the brakes are applied. I don't know if it works in Park however.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Google Dr. Ronald A. Belt's Sudden Acceleration Papers. This has happened to 12 other forum members while the vehicle WAS IN GEAR and happened to me twice over the past 4 years. It is impossible to replicate so don't expect any help from the dealer. All you will get from them is the "deer in the headlights" look.
Since this happened to me I put the transmission in "N" at any stop while the engine is running and when it happened to me while the vehicle was in gear and moving I just killed the ignition and everything returned to normal when turning the ignition back on again.
I have no idea why this happens on very rare occasions, but if you find out please let us know.
P.S. I do have the SmartStop upgrade installed on my RAV.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
We should research other Toyota vehicles with the same complaint. Given the similarities, in fact the same ECU used for so many Toyotas should evince the same issue? No? And why do they do not?

I suspect our RAV4 has become some kind of scam market. Ignore!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Google Dr. Ronald A. Belt's Sudden Acceleration Papers.
Total BS. Not even good pseudo science. You can tell I'm Canadian because I'm not saying what I really think.

Not saying that you haven't experienced unintended acceleration, but Dr. Belt certainly doesn't have a handle on it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Total BS. Not even good pseudo science. You can tell I'm Canadian because I'm not saying what I really think.

Not saying that you haven't experienced unintended acceleration, but Dr. Belt certainly doesn't have a handle on it.
That was my impression from reading opinions of his work. ymmv.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I and 12 other forum members are saying what they have actually experienced. If you have any intelligent and constructive comments to make, please feel free to do so.:smile

·
Registered
403 Posts
We should research other Toyota vehicles with the same complaint. Given the similarities, in fact the same ECU used for so many Toyotas should evince the same issue? No? And why do they do not?

I suspect our RAV4 has become some kind of scam market. Ignore!
Yep, 12 forum members have a hidden agenda to undermine confidence in RAV 4's.:roll:
The reality is they just want to know why this occurs and find a solution without being attacked as being part of a grand conspiracy. Perhaps Honda, Ford, and Subaru are behind it...give me a break!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I and 12 other forum members are saying what they have actually experienced. If you have any intelligent and constructive comments to make, please feel free to do so.:smile
I am certainly not doubting what you are saying. I used to own a (Japanese brand) minivan which had a high incidence of transmission failure. I believed that was due to abuse by owners, until it happened to me, and I knew mine had not been abused. So I have no difficulty believing what you are saying, all the more so when it is not followed by "and that's what caused me to run into the vehicle in front".

I have no idea what is causing this problem, but I do know it does not help to have the likes of Dr Belt muddying the waters with his take on it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
There HAS to be something in common with these 12 members and what happened to them. Until somebody does some intensive research and find out in detail what each driver was doing when the UA occurred, it will remain a mystery. Is it a V6 or I4 problem, or both? Did it happen with the 2.4L and 2.5L engine? Does it happen only with 4WD or FWD RAV4's? What systems were on at the time--A/C, audio system (probably), cruise control, headlights, turn signals, etc. Many of these systems are on the CAN bus and others like the audio system have inputs from the vehicle speed sensor. It could be pushing a certain sequence of buttons sends some erroneous signal along the CAN bus. Until the UA can be duplicated at will, nothing will be done about it.

One thing seems to be common to these occurrences. It almost never seems to happen when the vehicle is cruising on the highway. Except for the Lexus driver who had several floor mats jamming his accelerator pedal. It always seems to happen in slow speed or no speed situations. Like in a parking lot or stopped at an intersection.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would be nice to know if some of those vehicles had OEM or non OEM lights. Some people have mentioned radio interference when they installed either LED or HID lamps. Some of the high frequency inverters in them may not be properly shielded and could generate high frequency RF or spikes on the 12V dc bus possibly causing interference.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with almost 19K miles

·
Registered
403 Posts
It would be nice to know if some of those vehicles had OEM or non OEM lights. Some people have mentioned radio interference when they installed either LED or HID lamps. Some of the high frequency inverters in them may not be properly shielded and could generate high frequency RF or spikes on the 12V dc bus possibly causing interference.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with almost 19K miles
I don't know about the others, but I have OEM lights. Thank you for your input:smile. I just hope someone figures this rare thing out, there has to be a reason other than operator error.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts