Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I recently bought a 2012 Rav4 Limited v6 4wd with pretty low miles (60,959) and as I was driving home from the dealership I noticed the passenger side second-row seat (the one without the cupholder attached) was violently shaking/vibrating when I was at highway speed (60-70mph). I didn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel and the alignment is straight (the car didn't veer if I took my hands off the wheel). Could it be a tire thing? transmission thing? am I screwed?

Much Love No Hate,
Simon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be the wheel that needs to be balanced? It could be a drive shaft also.
I think the tires are probably the culprit, but I really don't know. I don't think it's the driveshaft, as there isn't any problem with the steering and whatnot.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I think the tires are probably the culprit, but I really don't know. I don't think it's the driveshaft, as there isn't any problem with the steering and whatnot.
The steering wheel does not vibrate if the driveshaft is a problem. The noise usually occurs near the middle of the car. I have replaced my driveshaft and this is what happened to my car.
There are 2 u-joints and usually the rear one goes bad.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
The steering wheel does not vibrate if the driveshaft is a problem. The noise usually occurs near the middle of the car. I have replaced my driveshaft and this is what happened to my car. There are 2 u-joints and usually the rear one goes bad.

You should try and see if each time on the highway the car is vibrating at that speed. If it does happen each time then one of the tire could be bad. You can try to move both tires from the rear to the front to see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steering wheel does not vibrate if the driveshaft is a problem. The noise usually occurs near the middle of the car. I have replaced my driveshaft and this is what happened to my car.
There are 2 u-joints and usually the rear one goes bad.
Oh! I did not know that. Are there any visual cues I can look out for in order to identify if the drive shaft is the culprit?
Thank you so much for helping me out!

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Oh! I did not know that. Are there any visual cues I can look out for in order to identify if the drive shaft is the culprit?
Thank you so much for helping me out!
First off I would try to eliminate the tires as a possibility by swapping them and then see if you get the vibration. I have winter tires so I swap them every year so that eliminated the tires.

There is no visual clues to look at because the u-joint usually goes bad so there is no way to tell looking at anything since it is inside the driveshaft at the front and back.

It is some what tricky to know if it is the driveshaft. I asked a mechanic to look at it but he said he would not be able to tell unless it was making the noise all the time. I did more research and you can have a driveshaft that is has not completely gone bad. This is my case since it has not completely failed. When the vibration occurred it may last 30 seconds at around 30-45 mph for mine. I waited almost a year before deciding to change it. The vibration happened around 4 or 5 times and I paid careful attention each time it happened. It did it in the winter as well as in the summer. My driveshaft gave me problems around the 105,000 km mark. The mileage is low but these driveshaft do not last as long as the older Gen2 driveshaft. The mechanic that replaced mine said he has done over half a dozen RAV4 but no older ones (ie 2005 and older).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off I would try to eliminate the tires as a possibility by swapping them and then see if you get the vibration. I have winter tires so I swap them every year so that eliminated the tires.

There is no visual clues to look at because the u-joint usually goes bad so there is no way to tell looking at anything since it is inside the driveshaf at the front and end.

It is some what tricky to know if it is the driveshaft. I asked a mechanic to look at it but he said he would not be able to tell unless it was making the noise all the time. I did more research and you can have a driveshaft that is has not completely gone bad. This is my case since it has not completely failed. When the vibration occurred it may last 30 seconds at around 30-45 mph for mine. I waited almost a year before deciding to change it. The vibration happened around 4 or 5 times and I paid careful attention each time it happened. It did it in the winter as well as in the summer. My driveshaft gave me problems around the 105,000 km mark. The mileage is low but these driveshaft do not last as long as the older Gen2 driveshaft. The mechanic that replaced mine said he has done over half a dozen RAV4 but no older ones (ie 2005 and older).
Okay! I think it must be the tires then, because it is a sustained shaking at the 70-80 mph mark, with no problems at low speeds

·
Registered
580 Posts
I suggest also checking the mechanism of the seat to ensure it’s not loose or has worn teeth. That’s a safety related item, and depending on your jurisdiction may be something that needs to be rectified for the vehicle to be licensed and registered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts