Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2012 rav4 base. On first start up of the day in a cold or warm climate I start it and makes a loud muffler noise (Muffler was replaced). Not the noise that on the Youtube videos that terrible sounding. It's more or a roar sound then idles fine. Any ideas or is that just how it is? Does ur Rav4 sound like that on first start? Second is when putting it in drive or reverse it tends to slam into gear again only on first start up of the day. All these goes away after warmed up. I think I'm over thinking just want some input.. Plus I brought it into Toyota last week they said it was okay checked out fine. also anyway to turn off the chime the dealer wouldn't do it for me.... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
check the vin? because there's probably a tsb on that.

i assume this is a 4WD; your vehicle's vin should be before this PRODUCTION VINs.

JTMBF4DV#BD043071
JTMRF4DV#B5048712
2T3BF4DV#CW264373

:)

IF NOT IN THE range, my vehicle was part of it, but the brief knocking/rattling noise is there still when I start it from a cold soak startup (especially if the vehicle sat there from overnight
or longer). it happens on 1AR/2AR type engines.

they said that was the Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly that they replaced.

well, what you can do in the cold morning, before starting it, VIDEOTAPE it with AUDIO of course. :) overnight or longer. then show it to them.

it is part of the 5 year Powertrain warranty still.

but if youre going to ask me, if it is not too loud and/or annoying on start-up, dont do it now, you already have a history that you complained about it.
comeback after a year or before 100,000km unless you have an ECP.

:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
here's a picture of the gear assembly that toyota dealer might replace if they called it.

now your second question, i almost forgot, i assume this happened at cold start? or very cold start?

when engine operating temperature has not been met yet, and you will notice
the RPM gauge needle is somewhere around 1200-1500 (at least here in canada after a long night parking the rav4 outside with minus temperature), oil is sleeping, we are going to wake it up and boil it. meeting up the engine operating temperature and putting the RPM gauge needle at 750 will take few minutes without helping the engine ( i mean pressing the accelerator/gas pedal and bringing RPM up around 2500).

when you put the gear on drive D, then release the brake pedal right away at 1200-1500RPM, wow! that will KICK and you will definitely feel it!

now, the trick is, if you want to drive it right away, you need to hold the brake pedal for very few seconds then slowly release it, then you will not feel it. :) make sense eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
The easy way to disable the seat belt chime without messing around with the electronics is to install a 2 inch seat belt extender. You can always enable it again by simply removing the extender.:smile

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
{{{{{{rant on}}}}}:mad:
Every day I open my newspaper and read about the continuing mayhem on the roads. Drivers crashing into each other, overturning and the driver/passenger getting "ejected" and pinned under the car etc, etc, etc. That suggests to me they weren't wearing their seatbelt. So please forgive me if I don't get the whole "how do I kill the seatbelt chime" thing. May I present the easiest, cheapest and most foolproof way to do that? Put the damn thing on!
{{{{rant off}}}}

May I wish everyone a most happy and healthy holiday season!!0:):smile:kiss

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have my seat belt chime disabled with a 2" seat belt extender and I USE the seat belts all the time without fail. I just find the nanny chime annoying as hell.:smile

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have my seat belt chime disabled with a 2" seat belt extender and I USE the seat belts all the time without fail. I just find the nanny chime annoying as hell.:smile
Glad you do! But, when do you hear the chime if the belts are buckled?:confused:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Glad you do! But, when do you hear the chime if the belts are buckled?:confused:
OK I admit I don't use the belts when going 5-10 MPH on stop and go, getting in and out of the car, trips on the gravel roads on my rural property. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts