Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, thank you for letting me join this community, I have an issue with my 2012 rav4, the rear door power lock is no longer responding, it is in lock position, I have tried everything to reprogram the lock, but the rear door is still locked and will not respond. I am aware that it might be the motor that runs the lock that is busted, but the thing is, how can I replace the motor, or even know if it is really busted, if I cannot even open the rear door, there is no handle inside to open it, nor is there a keyhole on the outside handle, I cannot remove the rear interior panel, because the door has to opened first before I can do that, it is frustrating. I know I can just bring it to the dealer and have them deal with it, it only annoys me that I cannot even open the door manually.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What do you mean by "there is no handle inside to open it" ?

The pix is from 2016 RAV4, and I'm sure your 2012 RAV4 have something like that...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt, thanks for replying. I was referring to the rear door at the back, the door where the spare tire is mounted. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Matt, thanks for replying. I was referring to the rear door at the back, the door where the spare tire is mounted. :)
Ops, sorry:wink.

OK, for the rear hatch/door, there should be a small plastic cover where you can pry open easily and manually "turn" the level to open from inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt, thank you for replying! I carefully examined the rear hatch/door from the inside, and there is no small plastic cover where i can pry off, all it has is a small light which has a switch, that is on the upper left hand side, and below that, is a "net" where you shove or put in like small items. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmmm, maybe the whole hatch (plastic cover) needs to come off? like removing those 1 piece cover from the front/rear door to install/replace speakers?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Matt007, this is a 4.3 forum (2006 - 2012).

Apparently you drive a 4.4 (2013 and later) which has a completely different cargo door.

Marky, you may want to check for any blown fuses.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Ask the dealer for help. They will probably cut the panel to access the lock inside. One possibility is drill a hole to fish the unlock lever from the top.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
The rear inner door panel is removable from the inside...take the top section off first and then take the rest off...
The OP say he can not open the door. So how do you open up the inner panel with the door shut?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The OP say he can not open the door. So how do you open up the inner panel with the door shut?
The rear inner panel does NOT get sandwiched between the door and the car body...SO...you climb in thru the back seat and pull the rear inner panel off...if I remember it is held on with plastic clips...you then remove the inner moisture barrier to gain access to the door lock mechanism...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good Afternoon Guys! Sorry it took me a while to reply. So I finally had the time and the courage to take off the whole back panel from the rear hatch. First thing I did was to tap the motorized mechanism ( sorry if I called it wrong ), and when I used the fob or the lock switch at the driver side door, the rear hatch locked and unlocked, but here is the catch, it did unlocked, but when I tried to open it the hatch using the handle, the door did not open, even if I pull on the rod inside where the locking mechanism is, it will not open, I'm stumped, perhaps the lock is stuck. I am giving up for today. I am just sad that I seldom use that rear hatch, and now its not working. :(

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Good Afternoon Guys! Sorry it took me a while to reply. So I finally had the time and the courage to take off the whole back panel from the rear hatch. First thing I did was to tap the motorized mechanism ( sorry if I called it wrong ), and when I used the fob or the lock switch at the driver side door, the rear hatch locked and unlocked, but here is the catch, it did unlocked, but when I tried to open it the hatch using the handle, the door did not open, even if I pull on the rod inside where the locking mechanism is, it will not open, I'm stumped, perhaps the lock is stuck. I am giving up for today. I am just sad that I seldom use that rear hatch, and now its not working. :(
As long as you have everything apart back there, perhaps it's time to take it to a local body shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts