Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2012 Rav4 Sport V6 last year with under 30k miles. Once I got to about 35k miles, the run flat tires were in need of replacing. The run flats were too expensive and they don't really have a whole lot of tread options so I decided to tackle the spare tire issue and use regular tires. I didn't really want to put the tire in a cargo rack on the roof and I couldn't find a hitch mounted tire carrier that I liked, so I decided to make my own.

I threw together a CAD model and designed the carrier to fit tight to the car and swing down (instead of sideways to save weight) so I can open the back door. I attached a few pics below of what I came up with. It weighs 17 pounds and keeps the tire close and low in the back of the car so I can barely see it out the back window. I only use it on trips and it goes on pretty quick. I use a locking hitch pin, the pivot point on the carrier is welded in, and the tire uses welded studs and a locking lug nut so it would be difficult to steal. I relocate the license plate during use so it is visible and it has a light for night visibility (the wire harness just plugs into the trailer light plug). The spare wheel is just a refurbished OEM wheel and I put one of the old run flats on it. I have about 1000 miles on it so far and its been working out well.

Not sure if this is something people would be interested in but I could certainly make more if someone wanted one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have an S.A.P. as well and the reason is that I wanted no tire on the back for any reason...I replaced my 18 inch wheels for 17s and when I go out of town I carry a spare in the back along with a tire patch kit and small air compressor...your idea is pretty good and maybe a few of the other S.A.P. folks will chime in...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I bought a used 2012 Rav4 Sport V6 last year with under 30k miles. Once I got to about 35k miles, the run flat tires were in need of replacing. The run flats were too expensive and they don't really have a whole lot of tread options so I decided to tackle the spare tire issue and use regular tires. I didn't really want to put the tire in a cargo rack on the roof and I couldn't find a hitch mounted tire carrier that I liked, so I decided to make my own.
What a great idea! I think other SAP owners would want one for long trips.

I have an S.A.P. as well and the reason is that I wanted no tire on the back for any reason...I replaced my 18 inch wheels for 17s and when I go out of town I carry a spare in the back along with a tire patch kit and small air compressor...your idea is pretty good and maybe a few of the other S.A.P. folks will chime in...
When you throw your spare in the back do you have it well secured? If not, it can come loose in an accident and become a deadly projectile inside the cabin.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
LOL...I love the deadly projectile...I do secure it, however in the event of an accident the rear seats would keep the tire from moving forward...now if the rav was to flip on it's roof and then hit a solid object then a deadly projectile is possible...again at that point I would imagine it would not make much of a difference...

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Quite clever and practical!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
"I don't need a spare I have AAA..."
I HATE that comment.
I love your spare tire carrier.
I don't have a SAP.
I love the rear door mounted spare.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Brilliant design! Depending on cost, I would definitely entertain getting one with the 2" tongue. I've thought of mounting a tire on the inside of the back door but that eats into cargo space and obscuring the back view quite a bit. No wind drag though when packed inside.

Out of curiosity, what's your state law on obscuring the license plate with the new implement? You won't want to attract tickets from the local finest . . . .

Finally seeing the license plate relocation to the mounting arm with a new license plate light. Where are you taping the light power from?

·
Registered
641 Posts
LOL...I love the deadly projectile...I do secure it, however in the event of an accident the rear seats would keep the tire from moving forward...now if the rav was to flip on it's roof and then hit a solid object then a deadly projectile is possible...again at that point I would imagine it would not make much of a difference...
This is not meant to minimize JB's safety precaution and the laws of physic. Funny thing is, I doubted most people will secure a 50 lbs luggage or golf club bag when thrown into the cargo hold, even though the same law of physic (maybe even legal law) apply. The tire is simple another 50 lbs object. It's definitely deadlier if the back seats were folded down to allow sliding.

I really hoped those two D-ring tie-down are really strong for securing heavy load . . . .

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is not meant to minimize JB's safety precaution and the laws of physic. Funny thing is, I doubted most people will secure a 50 lbs luggage or golf club bag when thrown into the cargo hold, even though the same law of physic (maybe even legal law) apply. The tire is simple another 50 lbs object. It's definitely deadlier if the back seats were folded down to allow sliding.

I really hoped those two D-ring tie-down are really strong for securing heavy load . . . .
The funny thing is who straps down groceries?...who ties down a can of corn?...who has items in the lower storage area?...those do not have locking covers nor any way to secure the contents...between the second row seat backs and the front row seat backs I can't imagine anything even hitting the driver or passenger...also with a spare resting against the rear seat back there is very little to no chance of the tire getting any kind of momentum to cause any harm...I think the "deadly projectile" thing stems from back in the old days people kept things on the rear window dash and seats did not offer any protection above the shoulders...a violent stop and things go forward impacting the back of unprotected heads killing people...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The funny thing is who straps down groceries?...who ties down a can of corn?...who has items in the lower storage area?...those do not have locking covers nor any way to secure the contents...between the second row seat backs and the front row seat backs I can't imagine anything even hitting the driver or passenger...also with a spare resting against the rear seat back there is very little to no chance of the tire getting any kind of momentum to cause any harm...I think the "deadly projectile" thing stems from back in the old days people kept things on the rear window dash and seats did not offer any protection above the shoulders...a violent stop and things go forward impacting the back of unprotected heads killing people...
Yeah. I've seen the results of that one time in my career and that was too much -lucky that the victim didn't die from it instead of just a concussion. My personal pet peeve is the half-wit that thinks he or she can fasten a phone or tablet over the steering wheel - not realizing that they just put in a 100mph+ missile launcher aimed at their face. The other peeve is from having a laptop on a stand on the passenger side and then someone wants to ride in that seat when the air bags can't be disabled. I won't let anyone ride that way and have gotten yelled at for it. I yelled right back. Nobody. Rides. There.

Now happily retired.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are reports of very serious injuries of people who rest their feet on the passenger side dash when the accident triggered the air bag. Major damages to the ankles, knees and face . . . . . Not pretty!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brilliant design! Depending on cost, I would definitely entertain getting one with the 2" tongue. I've thought of mounting a tire on the inside of the back door but that eats into cargo space and obscuring the back view quite a bit. No wind drag though when packed inside.

Out of curiosity, what's your state law on obscuring the license plate with the new implement? You won't want to attract tickets from the local finest . . . .

Finally seeing the license plate relocation to the mounting arm with a new license plate light. Where are you taping the light power from?
The light power just comes the flat 4 pin connector you would normally plug trailer lights into. The license plate light wire runs inside the license plate tube and down the center of the main 2" tube, then loops around to plug in.

I priced out all the parts and I would want to sell the carrier for $250 + shipping. I won't make much money for my time, but the goal would be some day to make a bunch of them and take advantage of reduced cost by buying larger quantities of materials.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts