Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a bit and decided to join from seeing how great this site is.

Anywho, I just purchased my first RAV4 last month (first Toyota at that) and absolutely adore it. Quite simply put this may be my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It is a 2012 4WD with the 2.5 4 cyl and 4 spd automatic. It has 51k and I just had the local Toyota dealership change all fluids (engine, transmission, differential etc). Every once in a while when I'm in overdrive (well, I think it's overdrive at this point) at around 35 to 40 mph (1300 - 1400 rpm) and I'm on an ever so slight incline with my foot resting gently on the gas to maintain speed I get a vibration from what I believe is the transmission. If I give it a bit more gas it downshifts, rpms go up and it's gone. It doesn't happen all of the time so when I took it to the dealership they couldn't replicate it. Heck, even I sometimes can't get it to do it. So I guess my question is if this is normal and it's just the transmission not kicking down soon enough or if this is an issue I need to have resolved. My factory warranty is good until January.

Thanks for bearing with me on this sort of rambling post.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I'd call it normal. Today's transmissions are programmed for two competing goals, best fuel economy and good acceleration. In general the lower the engine rpm the better the economy. But low rpm especially under fairly high load takes the engine's smoothness away. That's what's happening just before it downshifts. I've experienced it and we've had many posts about it. The only folks that really have a complaint are those who seem to try to hold the engine at such low rpms so they can complain or blame Toyota I guess.

Many other cars, especially those V6s that operate on 3 cylinders for economy, actually have electronically controlled motor mounts to better isolate the engine vibration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do not know am I right or not, but I always try to keep engine rpm 2000-2500 while driving. I drive mostly in 3d gear in the city to keep RPM
high enough to prevent engine overload and vibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah! This makes sense then! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced it and that sets my mind at ease. It's so intermittent that I will probably get used to it.

I will say I am totally loving getting 23-24 mpg around town. I only got about 17 in my old car so it's fantastic.

I have a feeling I will be going with another Toyota in a few years. I really love the Tacomas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most likely just the trans lugging the engine a bit to stay in the highest gear. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i have the same car and I do not feel any transmission vibrations. I would check that the ATF level is right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts