Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I recently got a 2012 Rav 4 and am wanting to add in a back up camera for safety reasons (I’m not the best at parking). I read the other threads on 2012 rav4 cameras but suggested links are expired. I am wanting to switch out the stereo as I don’t think the rear view mirror will be big enough imo.

Does anyone have suggestions on what stereo/monitor and camera to get?

I watched a few YouTube videos but the models are older (2010).

Would the video be relevant to my 2012 rav?

Thanks in advance for reading!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The backup camera only shows if something is behind the car that you can't see which is too low. It does not really help you to park that much. I have the factory camera and even that does not help if I need to know how close the car is behind me when parking. I have to open the door and stick my head out to really know and that is not even perfect.

You should look for a radio with video. This allows you to hook up a camera and displays it on the screen. Crutchfield and Sonicelectronix are the two biggest online sellers. There are just too many brands to choose at different price level so check it out. As for the camera you can get ones that fit where the license plate light is so that it is plug and play without drilling any holes. You also need to buy a face plate trim and wiring harness for your aftermarket radio. This will be an advanced install so research on how to hook up the wires and remove the body panels. It will be a steep learning curve since you just bought this car.

That video should be relevant to your car. The panel removal and the wiring would be the two hardest part. I just wired my dual dash cam last summer and removed the body panel three times. So I got good at it since the wire was too short and had to redo the wiring with a longer one.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Be carefull when getting an aftermarket radio for a 2012. The wire harness is different from the earlier models from what Ive been told.

I used the back up camera in your video with an aftermarket android unit for my 2011 from aliexpress. works good . Just have to make sure you get one that fits a 2012,

·
Registered
500 Posts
Most modern double DIN radios have a video input for the rear camera, some even have an extra input for a front camera. My '06 stock didn't come with any from the factory, so I finally decided to replace the radio and add a backup camera. Here was my choice. The installation is a lot more involved than just getting a license plate version, but works very well to this day. Just be aware that you can't really use it for parking space alignment due to the camera's offset position, it's useful for checking if people or objects are behind you and distance to other vehicles or obstacles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I added a front and rear camera to my Pioneer DD. Think it helps for parking tremendously.

Used the following cameras.
Front:
Rear:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts