Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having difficulty assessing how to remove the front brake rotors on a 2012 V6 Base.

I understand that I need to remove the calipers and caliper mounting bracket.

It appears as if the rotor is being held on by the center nut for the CV axle, as there is no visible seam between the rotor and the wheel hub. I've read threads on early 3rd generation removal, but perhaps the procedure is different on a 12. Can anyone confirm, and or advise how this is done on a 2012? Help appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
all rotors are the same, they just fit over the hub, so once you remove the caliper bracket, nothing will hold it except rust and friction... there is usually 2 threaded bolt holes close to the lugnuts that you can thread a bolt into to push against the hub to help remove the rotor. if not, get a rubber mallet and start pounding!

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
Octane is correct. There's nothing but rust and a tight fit holding it on. I use some penetrating oil around the studs and the center where there appears to be no seam, and two 12 mm bolts in the holes next to the hub, visible at 10 and 4 o'clock in your picture. Alternately tightening the bolts will break the rotor loose with some reassuring popping noises. I don't like doing any hammering because the force is borne by the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just get a regular hammer and whack between the studs on the rotor hat. Mechanics have been doing that for decades.

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
Just get a regular hammer and whack between the studs on the rotor hat. Mechanics have been doing that for decades.
Yeah, mechanics who will also get the job (and pay) of replacing the wheel bearing. More hammering = more pay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the guidance. While there appeared to be no visible seam, two 12mm bolts popped them right off. A very thin layer of grease on the wheel hub should make this process easier next time (after lightly sanding off all of the rust of coarse).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts