Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i'm new here and looking to purchase a rav4. i've only started my research, but i've quickly come upon the 2012 v6 limited as something that would suit my needs:
- driving in 1' of snow with proper snow tires
- hauling small pop-up tent trailer
- roof rack for hauling multiple kayaks
- non-cloth seats, navigation, heated seats

i found this ad for exactly what i want, and they're asking $15,500. it has almost 78k miles on it, the carfax shows it was first a leased car, then at 12k miles sold to a 2nd owner. no accidents, and as far as i can tell no work done on any recalls.

so, is this a good deal? i'm a bit wary because the kbb and nada values show it should be around $20k, but it's for sale for $15.5k?

link to ad: https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/2T3DK4DV7CW073780/2012-toyota-rav4/

link to carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2012 TOYOTA RAV4 LTD: 2T3DK4DV7CW073780

and please, don't buy this car away from me if you too are looking for a 2012 v6! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
That is a pretty good price! Possible they just want it sold fast - car's sitting in inventory wastes profit. Only make money by turning over cars quickly. Interior fabric / carpeting looks pretty clean. Seats look a little worn - hard to tell from the pictures. Mileage doesn't bother me - pretty much on par for that age. Being a 2012 model year - it is a carry over model, most of the "bugs" have been worked out by the time this rolled out. That said - I'd definitely get the car checked out by an independent garage or different Toyota dealership - see what they say and check to see if it there was least an attempt to get recall work done on it. That it didn't get any done may/may not be a concern, depending on what else they find. As for checking off all those items on your list - should be no problem for all except for driving through a foot of snow (unless you meant 1" instead of 1'). You'd be plowing the roads at that point - snow would be greater than the ground clearance / almost to the midpoint on the wheels. That past snow storm that we got here in NoVA - I'd attempted to plow through some of the earlier 8-12 inch depths before we ultimately got more than 3 feet of snow. Even with Blizzaks - couldn't make it much past the end of our street. Wasn't an so much an issue with the tires, just when the snow reached the bottom of the truck, no amount of tire would pull it - like dragging an anchor. Anything less than 6 inches - with good tires, pretty much nothing to the RAV4.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Looks like a good deal.
Any kind of warranty comes with the vehicle?

I would be checking the electronics (automatic air works correctly, AC blows cold, etc...). The NAV maps might old though and a few hundred dollars to get updated.
If possible pour a cup or water on top of that moon roof.
Of course, on your test drive, check for the famous transmission whine as well as regular wear items brakes, tires, etc...

I would also try to get the dealer to do an oil change, coolant flush and replace transaxle and rear differential lube.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Listen to the two previous posts, but if you can get the VIN, you can go to Toyota.com/owners, input the VIN and find out everything done to it at a Toyota dealer, if any.
Does sound like a pretty good deal though. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$15.5k sounds almost too good to be true. i was supposed to check it out this morning but ran out of time. i'll check it out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Damn, I'm tempted to buy that right now and ship it out here to Washington that's such a good deal heh.

We could likely get that much for our 09 with 75k on it in a private sale here.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
My 2008 is worth up to $15,900 @ dealer retail (low miles top shape) so I'd say this would need some investigation. Might be the best buy on the planet, might be a turkey. Check it out closely.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,713 Posts
Listen to the two previous posts, but if you can get the VIN, you can go to Toyota.com/owners, input the VIN and find out everything done to it at a Toyota dealer, if any.
Does sound like a pretty good deal though. Good luck.
I just did this, and it looks good. All servicing was done at Miller Toyota. They did all the oil changes. The front brakes were done at 38,833 miles along with recall E0F. At 57,664 the rear shocks were replaced to comply with the Virginia inspection. The front brakes including rotors were done again at 74,625. I would jump on this one in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got there just as another couple was finishing a test drive. I got to test drive it, but by the time I returned they had decided to buy the car. sadness. I would've bought the car.

car was initially priced at $20k back in May, lowered to $18k, and finally $15.5k. I hope whoever bought it didn't buy it from seeing my post here. Grrr

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I got there just as another couple was finishing a test drive. I got to test drive it, but by the time I returned they had decided to buy the car. sadness. I would've bought the car.

car was initially priced at $20k back in May, lowered to $18k, and finally $15.5k. I hope whoever bought it didn't buy it from seeing my post here. Grrr
Ever hear "ya snooze. ya loose"?:crying

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
There was a pretty red 2012 V6 RAV4 available in a nearby town. It stood on the lot a long time before I finally looked at it. What was wrong? Well, a non-smoker can tell. Is it impossible to remove all cigarette smoke smell?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There was a pretty red 2012 V6 RAV4 available in a nearby town. It stood on the lot a long time before I finally looked at it. What was wrong? Well, a non-smoker can tell. Is it impossible to remove all cigarette smoke smell?
Ozone machine would do the trick, a detailer can do that for you, or you can buy a machine online, they are less than 100$

or you can drive down to Ottawa and I'll take care of it ;)

Reactions: pico

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Octane, I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks. After my big dog passed away of old age, I cleaned our Suburban the hard way, although with no regret because it was like a ritual. (The lady in the picture is me mate, the one and only (IMHO) Molly McGuire.)

Thank you again, should I ever find another outstanding Great Pyrenees.

Pax

1 - 14 of 14 Posts