Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!
I've got a 2012 V6 Limited. Just purchased the Rav4 used, with a mere 35k miles on it. The tires - Bridgestone Duellers - are presumably original; they are nearly at the wear bars, and there is evidence of dry rot (cracking) in the tread grooves. Despite the condition of the tires, the start/stop grip is quite good, even in the ice and snow of Minnesota's latest winter efforts.

Here's what I'm looking for:
I seek honest input/feedback on lower-cost tires. Here are a few of the tires I'm considering:
Cooper Discoverer SRX
Continental TrueContact
Pirelli Scorion Verde
Is there another tire I should be looking at in the sub-$130 range?

One of the fascinating things I've discovered is that, in general, the T-rated tires are getting better ratings than the H-rated that are recommended for the Rav4. Makes me wonder if trading the firmer sidewalls and presumably "better summer" grip of an H-rated tire for the softer T-rated tires might be worth it for an all-season tire?

I've also considered spending a little more to step up to the Michelin Defenders...are they really worth it? How do they really do in ice and snow? Based on the grip of the well-worn Bridgestones, I get the overall impression that the Rav4 is a well balanced vehicle. Am I thinking TOO hard about the tires?

The last thing I need to add - I really want a tire that will make the Rav drive as smooth and comfortably down the road as possible. I appreciate your insights and feedback!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, there ARE lots of tire threads. I read through several of them, including the one you posted, but didn't really find the answers I was looking for. I felt that I had some rather specific questions, and was hoping to have some semblance of a dialogue with experienced owners regarding their specific experiences.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MN_Rav,

Kinda in the same boat as you. Last Jan (2016) we bought a 2012 I-4 Rav with just 16,000 miles on it. It also had the Duellers that were worn. I was able drive on them until this fall when I put General Altimax Arctic winter tires on it (I live in Michigan). This spring I'm looking at putting new "summer" rubber on it. Since 98% of the time my Rav is on pavement, I'm probably going to go with Michelin Defenders (or perhaps the Latitudes). I have a set of the Defenders on my Ford Fusion and they're a great tire. Very smooth and quiet. They're highly rated by Consumers Reports and Tire Rack and have a high tread-life warranty. Plus they are great in the rain and grip well during more "spirited" driving. My second choice would be the Continentals with the third choice going with General Altimax H43. I've owned the Altimax tires as well and liked them. Plus they're a great price. Again, I treat my Rav as more of a "lifted" car most of the time so that's the direction I go when looking at tires for it. If I lived in a more rural area I might choose differently but a a dozen or so weekends "up north" doesn't justify the poor riding/handling/fuel economy characteristics of a more aggressive off-road type tire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently (about 2 months ago) had a local shop install General Altimax RT43 on my '12 V6 4WD. So far I like them and they did fine in the snow we got last week. The real test will be tomorrow and Saturday when we're supposed to get maybe 10" of the white junk. The RT43's are much quieter than the stock Toyos and a little bit plusher ride. I did see a few reviews where these tires should be rotated every 5-6K to get the maximum tread life out of them. I have about 3K on them now and plan on driving to Colorado next week to visit my parents over Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
You're right, there ARE lots of tire threads. I read through several of them, including the one you posted, but didn't really find the answers I was looking for. I felt that I had some rather specific questions, and was hoping to have some semblance of a dialogue with experienced owners regarding their specific experiences.
Good point. I wouldn't recognize a snow tire if it was right in front of me. Just trying to point out other posts on the tire subject.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Still using the Duellers down here in the Tropics of MinneSnowta.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Still very happy with the Firestone Destination LE2s here. Great in all conditions. Relatively quiet on the highway. Great on the pacific northwest wet roads and over the snowy/icy mountain passes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently (about 2 months ago) had a local shop install General Altimax RT43 on my '12 V6 4WD. So far I like them and they did fine in the snow we got last week. The real test will be tomorrow and Saturday when we're supposed to get maybe 10" of the white junk. The RT43's are much quieter than the stock Toyos and a little bit plusher ride. I did see a few reviews where these tires should be rotated every 5-6K to get the maximum tread life out of them. I have about 3K on them now and plan on driving to Colorado next week to visit my parents over Christmas.
Thank you road_rascal. Where did you purchase them from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries RTexasF! The great north certainly adds complexity to the tire hunt. Here in the Cities, the roads get cleared pretty quick, and caution is just about as effective as winter tires most days. That said, having a good all season tire can go a long ways when you happen to beat the plows out on the roads.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought them from Automotive Service Co in Burnsville. They'll try and match Tire Rack prices. I think they were about $115 each.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Good day!
:snip:
I've also considered spending a little more to step up to the Michelin Defenders...are they really worth it? How do they really do in ice and snow? Based on the grip of the well-worn Bridgestones, I get the overall impression that the Rav4 is a well balanced vehicle. Am I thinking TOO hard about the tires?

The last thing I need to add - I really want a tire that will make the Rav drive as smooth and comfortably down the road as possible. I appreciate your insights and feedback!
I replaced the OEM Toyos on my 2010 V6 with Defenders. Like night and day. Have about 40k on them now and couldn't be happier. However, I'm a snowbird and haven't driven in very much snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought them from Automotive Service Co in Burnsville. They'll try and match Tire Rack prices. I think they were about $115 each.
Thank you road_rascal! I'll definitely keep them in mind! I normally go the Discount Tire route, simply because they're everywhere around here...I think I'm going to have to start looking at more of the smaller independents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced the OEM Toyos on my 2010 V6 with Defenders. Like night and day. Have about 40k on them now and couldn't be happier. However, I'm a snowbird and haven't driven in very much snow.
Thank you ravenuer. After 40k miles, are your Defenders still pretty quiet? Staying well-balanced? Do you rotate every 5k?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thank you ravenuer. After 40k miles, are your Defenders still pretty quiet? Staying well-balanced? Do you rotate every 5k?
Yes. Yes. and yes. When new, tread depth measured 10/32s. At last rotation(Aug), they were 7-8/32s. I keep 35-36 lbs in them. I'm a Michelin Man!

·
Registered
137 Posts
i do the TrueContacts at 38PSI
mostly asphalt or graded dirt roads..

TireRack compares these to the Defenders nicely too but the Defenders cost a bit more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
really impressed with truecontacts and rt43s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts