Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 Rav4 that was stolen and recovered without the original key. I asked the insurance company to replace the ignition cylinder and the door locks. That was done at the dealership, and now the Toyota tech can only get it to recognize 1 key.

It seems that it will not forget the original keys. One key works normally and the other 2 will run the vehicle for 5 minutes and shut off. Toyota is recommending we replace an electronic module for the cost of 1,200 dollars. The insurance company has now stated that it will not pay anything further on the locks or the keys.

I have read the sticky's about keys, and I don't have all the answers about what the tech has done and what keys are being used.

Where should I start to get the other keys working? I really do not want to foot a 1,200 dollar repair.

Thanks.

Nicole.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Uggh. Which key works normally? The new one? I don't understand about the other two. That sounds like a Toyota/dealer problem. Sorry I can't help you from a technical or mechanical perspective.

Even if the dealer writes this up as "necessary" -- the insurance company will not pay? I would think an appeal would be the next step. They should pay as the car is not functional now. Sorry you are going through this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Uggh. Which key works normally? The new one? I don't understand about the other two. That sounds like a Toyota/dealer problem. Sorry I can't help you from a technical or mechanical perspective.
Even if the dealer writes this up as "necessary" -- the insurance company will not pay? I would think an appeal would be the next step. They should pay as the car is not functional now. Sorry you are going through this.

Good luck.
Fully agree with you. Insurance company has got to cover this.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It seems strange that one key works and two others don't. Are they all new replacement keys, and if so, were all produced at the same time? Which electronic module does Toyota recommend be replaced? Not being an expert, it would seem that the chip module need to be replaced perhaps in one of the two keys which don't work properly and while they aren't cheap the cost should be nowhere near $1200. RAVs originally come with two completely functional keys and it should be either the insurance company or Toyota which covers the cost for one additional fully functional key since you already have one which works properly.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2012 Rav4 that was stolen and recovered without the original key. I asked the insurance company to replace the ignition cylinder and the door locks. That was done at the dealership, and now the Toyota tech can only get it to recognize 1 key.

It seems that it will not forget the original keys. One key works normally and the other 2 will run the vehicle for 5 minutes and shut off. Toyota is recommending we replace an electronic module for the cost of 1,200 dollars. The insurance company has now stated that it will not pay anything further on the locks or the keys.

I have read the sticky's about keys, and I don't have all the answers about what the tech has done and what keys are being used.

Where should I start to get the other keys working? I really do not want to foot a 1,200 dollar repair.

Thanks.

Nicole.
I would take it to your local locksmith and get a second opinion. They might be able to erase the old keys and program the new ones for you. Dealers are always looking to charge the most for everything.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would take it to your local locksmith and get a second opinion. They might be able to erase the old keys and program the new ones for you. Dealers are always looking to charge the most for everything.
Bad advice. Once another party has attempt on it, dealer will say it's off their hands.
I'd pester/harass Dealer or Toyota for a solution.

Reactions: BoomerNJ

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Bad advice. Once another party has attempt on it, dealer will say it's off their hands.
I respectively disagree. There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. They might be able to give her information the OP could use when talking with the dealer.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Fair point, but I think if another party just gives an opinion and doesn't touch anything, he'll be ok. Agree he should pester the dealer but I'd add the insurance co to the top of the pester list.:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

The dealership did get all the keys working after I asked the service manager to get involved.

They said it was the imobilizer module sending random bad codes. They claimed to have swapped out the module with another unit and it started working normally.

It was the old key that was working before the dealership "swapped out the module"

I have my doubts about the whole thing. Something just does not feel right about how everything played out start to finish.

Thanks for the help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Update:
The dealership did get all the keys working after I asked the service manager to get involved.
They said it was the imobilizer module sending random bad codes. They claimed to have swapped out the module with another unit and it started working normally.
It was the old key that was working before the dealership "swapped out the module"
I have my doubts about the whole thing. Something just does not feel right about how everything played out start to finish.
All's well that ends well. Glad it's fixed.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Update:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the dealer's tech was doing some trial and error experiments to try to get the keys working properly but didn't quite have the knowledge or experience needed. But it's good that the keys now are working as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Update:

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about it.
Every fix is easy if one knows the "how".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts