Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 68K miles on my 2012. I have not had any issues with it until yesterday. While I was out it was hard to start, sounded like it wasn't getting any gas at first. It kind of sputtered a little. I turned it off, restarted it, it sputtered again and then after a couple of seconds it was fine. I listened for noises, knocking, missing etc, I heard nothing. I drove home about 10 miles. About an hour later I tried to start it and it just sounded like a clunk (for lack of a better word). I had the oil changed about a month ago and after the clunking sound I checked the dipstick and the oil looks clean and full.

A little background, I bought the car about 14 months ago from a Honda dealer it had 55K and I bought an extended warranty through Honda. I have the paperwork where they put the $2000 in the deal for the Easy Care but the dealer now says that they changed their mind, the finance company wouldn't include the extended warranty but they didn't tell me about it. So all this time I'm thinking I had a warranty but I don't???

So here is my question. Does this problem sound really bad and it needs to go to the Toyota dealer? Or could it perhaps be something like a starter which doesn't sound like such an expensive problem?

Thanks for any input, I know I have to have it towed somewhere. I just want to know how bad does this sound? Can anyone relate to this?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you have access to a code reader? If you can check for codes, it might point towards something.

How old is the current battery in there? (old batteries can cause lots of weird issues)

I would also check all the fuses (under the hood and the dash) to make sure none are blown.

It doesn't sound like anything major if it just won't start.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your suggestions. It gets worse. I decided to tow car to a mechanic that I was familiar with to at least get a diagnosis. I called AAA and asked for a tow truck specifically. They send a cable jumper guy in a van. I said, "I asked for a tow truck" he said, "We always come for no starts because it is probably just your battery." He proceeds to hook up my car to jumper box and it starts to turn over a little but it will not keep turning over. I said, "We will probably need that tow truck now." He said he had to run diagnostics. OK fine. He hooked up his computer and keeps trying to start the car. Then I see smoke coming from under the hood to the left of the battery and I asked (yelled) for him to please stop trying to start my car. He agreed. So now I am waiting for the tow truck and whatever the problem was, has now surely been aggravated.

I just can't believe that this is happening.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have 68K miles on my 2012. I have not had any issues with it until yesterday. While I was out it was hard to start, sounded like it wasn't getting any gas at first. It kind of sputtered a little. I turned it off, restarted it, it sputtered again and then after a couple of seconds it was fine. I listened for noises, knocking, missing etc, I heard nothing. I drove home about 10 miles. About an hour later I tried to start it and it just sounded like a clunk (for lack of a better word). I had the oil changed about a month ago and after the clunking sound I checked the dipstick and the oil looks clean and full.

A little background, I bought the car about 14 months ago from a Honda dealer it had 55K and I bought an extended warranty through Honda. I have the paperwork where they put the $2000 in the deal for the Easy Care but the dealer now says that they changed their mind, the finance company wouldn't include the extended warranty but they didn't tell me about it. So all this time I'm thinking I had a warranty but I don't???

So here is my question. Does this problem sound really bad and it needs to go to the Toyota dealer? Or could it perhaps be something like a starter which doesn't sound like such an expensive problem?

Thanks for any input, I know I have to have it towed somewhere. I just want to know how bad does this sound? Can anyone relate to this?
Ummm, did you actually pay $2k for the warranty? If so, where's the 2k now? I think you need to carefully review all your paperwork from the dealer and finance company and get them to answer all your questions.
I'd also think if the guy that AAA sends screws up your car, they would have some responsibility.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Agree with ravenuer about the need to find out about the possible warranty. Did the finance company first accept the $2K and the warranty, then change their mind and also remove the $2K from the amount financed?

Also seems strange that the AAA person apparently would decide that a tow truck was needed because the vehicle wouldn't start and then try to start the car and run diagnostics. If he burned out the starter or the battery or something else in the process AAA should stand to pay the replacement bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies this has really been a stressful situation. I have no idea what happened to a perfectly running car. About 9 months ago all of the lights came on in what seemed like a fluke because they came on after my steering wheel had locked. They went out and the only light that I had trouble with since then was the tire pressure light. I have had no other indication that something was wrong with my car that I loved and had named Joy. So now, the shop where I had it towed says they believe it is a blown head gasket but there is no way to tell without totally going in the engine and who knows what they would find (his words).

In reference to the Honda Care service plan I have, I went to the dealer where I bought the car. The guy looked at my paperwork and looked at his computer and said that even if I have the plan it was probably over the mileage anyway. The car was sold with 55321 mileage which means the plan ran out at 79321. I said, "Not so fast, I have 78679."

He said on Monday they would help me try to resolve it once they verify that the mileage is what I say it is and once they find out what is actually wrong with the car.

All that said, what happened to my car? It did not run hot, it had oil, it never did anything that indicated there was a problem until the sputtering on the day that it died. I mean it is a Toyota for goodness sake!

I wonder after a head gasket is blown will a car ever be the same? Anyway, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
If the shop where your RAV has been towed suspects that there is a blown head gasket they don't have to "go into" the engine to diagnose that, if by "going into" they mean disassembling the engine. Symptoms of a blown head gasket can be coolant in the engine oil, leaking coolant or oil around the outside of the cylinder head, bubbling in the coolant overflow tank or the radiator from escaping cylinder gases when the engine is running (assuming that they can get it running), and/or possibly low compression in one or more cylinders by running a compression check. Suggest making certain that the shop at least has a good rating on the internet to make as certain as possible that they won't try to gouge you financially.

Also I couldn't find a reference to which engine your RAV has - your profile isn't complete as far as I can see.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
189 Posts
if he burned your starter , it could be your torque converter might get affected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts