Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confused

The cap does NOT turn. It has a post in the middle that matches a hole in the reservoir. It does not turn at all. Does one know how to add coolant to this closed system?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The cap does NOT turn. It has a post in the middle that matches a hole in the reservoir.
Just twist the cap counterclockwise a little harder. It will make a little click and then turns freely. There is some initial resistance as the 'hole in the middle' is an indentation that keeps the cap from turning unnecessarily.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Maybe it needs to be pushed in first before turning counterclockwise. Simply turning it will keep it locked. ? Some of my caps are this way.
Hmm, possible they 'child-proofed' the 2012 cap?

If I pushed down on mine (2009) while twisting, it would break the indent. It's kind of a cool cap--snugs it up nicely and also prevents over-tightening. Just a little resistance as it clicks to open or close.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Are you sure you shouldn't add coolant to the reservoir tank? Not the main cap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Are you sure you shouldn't add coolant to the reservoir tank? Not the main cap.
I'm pretty sure that's what the OP was asking:

> How to remove coolant reservoir cap 2012 rav4 4 cyl?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
There is NO cap on the radiator. The cap on the reservoir is pressurized, so make sure the engine is cool before removing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for an answer. When this puppy cools down I will apply your directions. Last thing I wanted to do was break it, my usual action.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed needed just a little stronger twist to come off, actually embarrassed how easily it was after doing so. My thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts