Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Rav4 Fam,

It's been a while since I was here as I sold my 2013 Rav4 Limited AWD last year and moved to a Limited 4x4 4Runner. Fast forward, and my 4R has been in for the 10k service and my dealer gave me a 2017 Rav4 XLE FWD loaner. I thought it would be a fun opportunity to drive another Rav... I miss how my '13 drove and I really miss the blind spot monitor.

I'll just be honest: What on EARTH did Toyota do to the steering of this car? My 2013 was actually a great handling little ute that had fluid, precise steering. A little dead on center, but I really enjoyed how it handled and drove otherwise, and I thought the steering was a high point.

The 2017 I have now is completely different. On center, and turning the wheel 60 degrees or less, it's completely lifeless and dead - nothing, nobody is home. Once you move the steering wheel past that, it weights up so fast so hard that sometimes it's hard to turn the steering wheel. I am 30 years old, 6'1" and work out 4-5x a week and there have been a few times where I have to use another hand to get the wheel turned in a sharp curve. The steering is absolutely, absolutely awful - you get dead and lifeless or you feel like you're arm wrestling a pre-teen and there's no in-between.

The only thing I can think is that Toyota made some changes to the steering when incorporating Toyota Safety Sense?

Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate difference?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hasn’t been my experience and I’ve owned a 14 and now a 16 hybrid. I’d be careful of that car if you are experiencing those symptoms. Funny though, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone accuse the rav of any year of having great handling and steering feel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a 2017 XLE, just turned 500 miles of everyday driving, mostly short local hops. I haven't noticed anything remarkable about the steering, positive or negative. Maybe it's that specific example?

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
I'd be checking tire pressures, EPS was no different on my '15 Ltd or '16 HV than it was on my '06 V6. :confused:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Could be you're going from driving a AWD model to driving a FWD model now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts