Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody! I'm sorry I don't know if there has already been a thread like this so I bother you again.
I'm about 2013 Rav4 XLE.
The headlights and fog lights will not shut off (if I leave them ON) automatically after 30 seconds when I turn off the engine get out of the car and lock it with remote key by pressing two times the lock button. I've just recently got this car for my daughter and tried to get to know its lightning system. I was waiting for quite a time for headlights to be shut off but it didn't at all. I'm wondering if they ever finally shut off by themselves or we have to turn them off manually all the time with a stalk? How long does it take if they eventually get shut off?
2012 Rav4 Base never had this issue and the whole lightning system setup was logical and perfect. In general I think the next gen Rav4 lightning system was created by idiots:
1) Stupid DRL position on the stalk, when it should go on automatically as soon as you start the engine.
2) The OFF position shuts the DRL off and then we have to turn it ON again, when we can just go to car setup and turn them OFF from menu if we don't ever use them (military base e.t.c)
3) Very weak just 19W fog lights with its mysterious hybrid of H11/H16 bulb.
4) Low beam headlight uses connector H11 before its duster and 9005 connector after (inside) the duster? Why??!! So if you want to up-grade it to HID or LED you'll need an adapter.
5) The headlights and fog lumps won't shut off if I leave them ON no matter how many times I press the lock button on my remote key fob.
6) It doesn't have a headlight low beam light indicator at instrument cluster! So there's NO WAY you can tell whether you are driving with low beam ON or just with a parking/side marker lights ON
----------------------------------------
Honestly, what was wrong with previous generation 2012 lightning system design, so those "geniuses" came up with such a mess now?
----------------------------------------
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Do the headlights turn off using the key fob method if the fog lights aren't also on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
You need to use AUTO not ON if you want them to shut off automatically.

ON is always on.

Auto will turn on when needed and the timer will turn them off after you shut off the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ON is always on.

Auto will turn on when needed and the timer will turn them off after you shut off the engine.
Thanks, but I don't have AUTO mode. My model is XLE. Only Limited trim has this AUTO option.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If the stalk is not set to AUTO, then I think the lights will turn off after 30 MINUTES to conserve battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the stalk is not set to AUTO, then I think the lights will turn off after 30 MINUTES to conserve battery.
I don't have AUTO mode. The car is XLE and not Limited.
30 minutes????!!!! Conserve battery???!!! By that time the battery will be completely discharged.
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Seems to me that the "on" time is 30 seconds rather than 30 minutes, but I don't have the 4.4 RAV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to the owners manual('13 is the same as the manual on my '15) it should shut off after 30 seconds once you have turned the car off, opened a door, and then shut all doors. If you press the lock button with all the doors locked it should turn them off immediately. If you turn the car off but leave a door open it will shut off after 20 minutes.

The only difference between models with and without auto headlights according to the manual is that without auto headlights they simply turn on again when the car is started instead of determining if DRL are appropriate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG! Playing more with the lightning system I've just discovered another unpleasant and weird surprise! XLE model doesn't have a headlight low beam light indicator at instrument cluster! Remember that green little sun shape light when you turn the low beam ON? It's gone! No more. So looking at the instrument cluster (what else we should look at for information?) there's NO WAY you can tell whether you are driving with low beam ON or just with a parking/side marker lights ON. So in order to tell you have to look at the stalk, which could be problematic at the dusk.
I'm not whining. I just want to understand the logic behind all this new lightning system setup and what was wrong with the previous generation one? Maybe I'm missing something and don't clearly see some great new advantages of the modern style system setup? Maybe I'm getting old or my logic is getting screwed up? Hey, younger generation, do you really believe the new system is cool?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to the owners manual('13 is the same as the manual on my '15) it should shut off after 30 seconds once you have turned the car off, opened a door, and then shut all doors. If you press the lock button with all the doors locked it should turn them off immediately. If you turn the car off but leave a door open it will shut off after 20 minutes.

The only difference between models with and without auto headlights according to the manual is that without auto headlights they simply turn on again when the car is started instead of determining if DRL are appropriate.
Thanks a lot for your input. You are right. That is how it SHOULD work.
This is exactly how it worked with my daughter's Rav4 2012, this is exactly how it works with my RX-350 and my wife's ES-350, but somehow it doesn't work with Rav4 2013. I have a manual in my hands right now. I looked at the page 217. Are we on the same page?
I guess I have to see a dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks a lot for your input. You are right. That is how it SHOULD work.
This is exactly how it worked with my daughter's Rav4 2012, this is exactly how it works with my RX-350 and my wife's ES-350, but somehow it doesn't work with Rav4 2013. I have a manual in my hands right now. I looked at the page 217. Are we on the same page?
I guess I have to see a dealer.
That was the page for it in the '13 manual though the auto off feature was talked about on 220.

I just went back to check if the '13 has the same customization option as the '15 and it does(pg. 583), this lets you change the time it takes or disable it completely. Perhaps someone set it to off and that's why it's not working.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was the page for it in the '13 manual though the auto off feature was talked about on 220.

I just went back to check if the '13 has the same customization option as the '15 and it does(pg. 583), this lets you change the time it takes or disable it completely. Perhaps someone set it to off and that's why it's not working.
Thanks a lot! Somehow I missed it. There are settings: OFF, 60 sec, 90 sec. and Default 30 sec. Any idea how to fix it back to Default (30 sec)? Are we talking about XLE trim? Because XLE doesn't have AUTO headlights. What's model is your Rav?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Gotta go into the setup screen on your radio. I have an XLE also and I've adjusted settings myself that way.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts

ON is always on.

XLE has no auto option.
On, parking, DRL, and Off.

Only the Limited has "Auto" in the "DRL" position.

OP:
There is an option to set the length of the delay in the auto-shutoff, and it can also be disabled. Default is 30 seconds, but it may have been reprogrammed.
It MAY be in the Vehicle setup screens on the Entune unit, but it may require Techstream, or cheaper, a Bluetooth adapter and the Carista smartphone app ($20 for the version that saves changes)

The switch CAN be left in the DRL position all the time during daylight.
The DRLs will come on when you start the car and release the brake.

Canadian models do not have a disable option for the DRL.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
So looking at the instrument cluster (what else we should look at for information?) there's NO WAY you can tell whether you are driving with low beam ON or just with a parking/side marker lights ON. So in order to tell you have to look at the stalk, which could be problematic at the dusk.
You mean like every vehicle manufactured from, oh, 1930 until 2005 or so?

Simple... NEVER drive with only the marker lights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gotta go into the setup screen on your radio. I have an XLE also and I've adjusted settings myself that way.

Thanks. Are you sure? The only settings regarding the lightning system I have found so far there is how to turn ON and OFF the DRL and the rest is about locking/unlocking the doors with a gear shift. I went to:
Setup --> Vehicle--->. Maybe I looked in the wrong place? Can you give me a path please?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 2013 XLE headlights do not automatically shut off after any period of time. The only way to shut your headlights off on a 2013 XLE is manually by using the stalk. The auto shut off was added in 2014 on the XLE.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've replaced head unit in my 2015 RAV4 LE. In radio setting, there is a shutdown delay, from 30 seconds to one hour. I think that the stock radio has same settings. My RAV4 shuts off headlights after 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts