Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Now I now this has been posted many times before but I can't see to quite find what I'm looking for.

I have 13' limited on 18" rims, winter is coming and I need some winter tires/ rims. I know I can downsize to 17" rims, but what about 16". I have seen some conflicting information. I am looking at getting some steelies from Costco and they have it in their book that I can get 16" for the rav4. They should clear the calipers and what not no?

I'm thinking worst case is i try them for size they don't fit and I take them back to Costco.

With the 16", I am looking at either 225/70R16, or 215/70R16.

Has anyone done this already? Comments/ advice?

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just traded a 2011 Rav4 Sport and it had 18" wheels and we ran 16" snows with steel wheels in the winter, no problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD and I put 16" steel wheel snow tires (225/70R16) that had the same diameter as the original size all season tires with no interference issues.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 16K miles

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Me too. Had 16"steelies on my 14 rav4 xle for winter. The brakes etc. are the same size as the limited. I plan to use the same winter wheels on the hybrid limited.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What is the reason for everyone using steel wheels for winter tires? What would happen if I used allow rims?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Okay. Thought there was a specific reason. I scored a set of 17" alloys that were pulled off of a new XLE and was planning to use them as my normal wheels, (in hopes of softening the ride a bit), and save the 18" alloy rims for snow tire use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've heard in very cold climates (like Calgary without the Chinook's) that alloy/Alumin wheels can be problematic where the bead can break causing air loss particularly when the vehicle has sat overnight in very cold temps i.e.. -30C. - -40C.
I don't know if this is true or not but certainly seems plausible…. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Okay. Thought there was a specific reason. I scored a set of 17" alloys that were pulled off of a new XLE and was planning to use them as my normal wheels, (in hopes of softening the ride a bit), and save the 18" alloy rims for snow tire use.
18" winter tires are going to be a lot more expensive than their smaller counterparts...

·
Registered
62 Posts
When we bought our '11 Outback I downsized from 17" to 16" for winter tires. For thr RAV I am going to stay at the same size...because they gave us a good set of snows as part of the sale and they are 17". Just have to buy a set of steelies to put them on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my 16" rims from costco for 56.00/per and the cost of 16" winter tires was worth downsizing for me, since I plan on keeping this ride for quite some time. If I was able to get a set of alloys for cheap I probably would have done that but no luck so I went with the steelies and if I completely hate the look I will buy some hub caps off ebay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard in very cold climates (like Calgary without the Chinook's) that alloy/Alumin wheels can be problematic where the bead can break causing air loss particularly when the vehicle has sat overnight in very cold temps i.e.. -30C. - -40C.
I don't know if this is true or not but certainly seems plausible…. any thoughts?
I live in Edmonton and when I had my previous vehicle it was parked curb side during the winter and the tires were on alloy rims. I never had any issues or anything. It sounds plausible but probably not something you should be too worried about.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What is the reason for everyone using steel wheels for winter tires? What would happen if I used allow rims?
Just cheaper that's all. Especially if keeping snows on separate rims.
Agreed, easier and cheaper to do change overs which for me, is twice a year. There is another big reason for me. The salt used on our mid-western Ontario (Canada) roads destroys the alloy rims cosmetics. They look really bad after only 1 or 2 seasons.

With steelies, you can always wire brush them clean and then touch them up with rust paint from a rattle can or brush. Can't do that with alloys. I also use Toyota hubcaps with my winter steelies ... just prefer that look vs. the naked black/grey rim look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok here's a question that has mixed reviews everywhere. The donut that comes with the RAV is 165-90-17, it is already smaller in circumference than the stock 18" (.8") that come on the limited. My winter tires will be slightly larger than the 18" stock so the donut will be 1" smaller in circumference.

My understanding is it will be ok to run the smaller wheel for short/low speed to get to a shop or home without damaging anything. Yes it is not good to do this but it is a temporary fix. It is also my understanding that if there is a flat on the front you should do a double change, (swap a good rear tire to the front and a donut on the back.) as per toyota's request.

Does this sound right or am I totally missing something?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ok here's a question that has mixed reviews everywhere. The donut that comes with the RAV is 165-90-17, it is already smaller in circumference than the stock 18" (.8") that come on the limited. My winter tires will be slightly larger than the 18" stock so the donut will be 1" smaller in circumference.

My understanding is it will be ok to run the smaller wheel for short/low speed to get to a shop or home without damaging anything. Yes it is not good to do this but it is a temporary fix. It is also my understanding that if there is a flat on the front you should do a double change, (swap a good rear tire to the front and a donut on the back.) as per toyota's request.

Does this sound right or am I totally missing something?
yes the spare is smaller, but it won't cause a problem if you don't use it more than you are supposed to, and even with the awd system, if you have a tire that is too small, the system will deactivate to protect the differential.

Reactions: canadaknows

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Put the 225/70r16 on the rims today from costco everything went well, bring on the winter!

FYI: The rims i ordered from did NOT come with valves so you will have to get them separate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts