Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently looking at buying a RAV4. I need help deciding which would be the best value.... A 2013 limited with 35000 miles for 19k or a new 2016 base model for 24k. I'm
Having a hard time deciding so any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!! Also are the 2013's roomier than the 16?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trade off would be all the amenities that come with the 2013 Limited vs the improved suspension and sound isolation with the 2016 (on all trim levels I'm told.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you driven both? Which did you like better?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 2015 LE to the dealer and test drove a 2016 LE. IMO the 2016 was definitely softer on the road bumps. I couldn't detect a difference in road noise though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my 2015 LE to the dealer and test drove a 2016 LE. IMO the 2016 was definitely softer on the road bumps. I couldn't detect a difference in road noise though.
That would be a big deal for me becauE we live on bumpy back roads so thanks for the input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also on the Limited, you get heated seats, sunroof and a much higher quality interior. I personally feel you get a much better value with the limited.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if you are willing to get a 16 le why not just get a 13 le and save tons of cash?...the le with taller rubber will ride much better than the limited...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If i may butt in and ask some inputs on how to deal with trade-ins.
Im planning to trade in my twenty-14 rav for either a demo 2015 lexus nx200t exective package or a 2016 rav4 hybrid rav4 limited tech pack. I was doing some math and i could see that i could get either of these two and bring down my payments.Has anyone tried trading in his/her vehicle and eventually got a better/ newer vehicle at a lower payment? The dealerships wanna know how much my payment and balance owing on my current rav4 before giving me the appraisal value. Im kind of hesitant to give them this info as they might low ball my rav, knowing that my rav is in near perfect condition with less than 20k kms odo and with all the bells and whistles on it.
Would it be proper or i think i should have ask first the dealerships to give me the payments of those two vehicles before letting them know i got a trade in.

Edit: im on a negative equity, i think i would stay put with my rav4 for now.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If i may butt in and ask some inputs on how to deal with trade-ins.
Im planning to trade in my twenty-14 rav for either a demo 2015 lexus nx200t exective package or a 2016 rav4 hybrid rav4 limited tech pack. I was doing some math and i could see that i could get either of these two and bring down my payments.Has anyone tried trading in his/her vehicle and eventually got a better/ newer vehicle at a lower payment? The dealerships wanna know how much my payment and balance owing on my current rav4 before giving me the appraisal value. Im kind of hesitant to give them this info as they might low ball my rav, knowing that my rav is in near perfect condition with less than 20k kms odo and with all the bells and whistles on it.
Would it be proper or i think i should have ask first the dealerships to give me the payments of those two vehicles before letting them know i got a trade in.

Edit: im on a negative equity, i think i would stay put with my rav4 for now.
Why not just start another thread?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think we should be careful in calling the 2016 suspension "improved". It can better be described as softened or changed. We recently drove both a '14 and 16 back to back and quite frankly preferred the firmer handling of the earlier version. Handling and comfort generally fall at opposite ends of the suspension tuning compromise. In fact my wife felt the new suspension was a bit too "tipsy" for her comfort as she does like driving briskly. It all depends on your preference, and yes, our garage has more sports cars (BRZ, 135i) than SUVs. Everyone has their preferences and this change just moves the product into a slightly different area of the ride/handling compromise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
New would provide full warranty over a used vehicle. Used at that mileage is probably close to needing tires so that's a extra cost potentially also. Plus new vehicles usually offer lower financing rates over used also.

·
Registered
248 Posts
New would provide full warranty over a used vehicle. Used at that mileage is probably close to needing tires so that's a extra cost potentially also. Plus new vehicles usually offer lower financing rates over used also.
There's hardly any financial case for buying new instead of used. Around here, a '13 or '14 Limited with 15 or 20k miles is often $10k less than new. Letting someone else take the huge depreciation hit in the first few years is always a better financial move, even if you buy certified or with an extended warranty. You might buy new to have the latest technology or because you just enjoy having the latest, but its not to save money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts