Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and had a question regarding a CV shaft replacement. I have audible grinding and popping noise when driving and making left turns. I ordered a new CV shaft but was wondering about the process. Anything specific I need to know? How much ATF will I need to top off the transmission? Is this a doable DIY job or should I bring it into Toyota? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would recommend Toyota if you can. It's not hard but you can find yourself up poop creek pretty fast. I've heard of CV seizing and needing to be cut out.

Besides, there are a lot of other things it can be, that could b more of a concern, such as rods, ball joints, etc... A professional diagnostic would be recommended.

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
The grinding and popping certainly point to a failing CV shaft but unless the boot got ripped and the grease leaked out I'd be surprised of it happening on a car that new. I'm sure there are thousands, probably millions of cars with 200,000+ miles on the original CV joints.
Could be something as simple as a stone caught in the wheel.

Reactions: EricWin

·
Registered
48 Posts
The grinding and popping certainly point to a failing CV shaft but unless the boot got ripped and the grease leaked out I'd be surprised of it happening on a car that new. I'm sure there are thousands, probably millions of cars with 200,000+ miles on the original CV joints.
It could be a bearing but I guess its hard to know without hearing the noise. I can't tell you how many times someone miss diagnosed something and/or misrepresented the issue on a forum.

OP, not that I'm saying you're wrong, but its very hard to give good advice on a forum. I don't know your experience and I don't want to give you bad advice. If you want to try yourself, below is a good DIY video (use a pan to catch the fluid and measure how much was lost and replace with new fluid):

My CV was seized in the wheel hub and the shaft had to be cut, the wheel hub had to be removed, and a press was needed to remove the shaft from the wheel hub. If this happens, use a Sawzall or grinder to cut and take it to a mechanic who would probably charge you a few bucks to press it out.

If this is a daily driver, I would consider taking it to a dealer. If you have another car go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be a bearing but I guess its hard to know without hearing the noise. I can't tell you how many times someone miss diagnosed something and/or misrepresented the issue on a forum.

OP, not that I'm saying you're wrong, but its very hard to give good advice on a forum. I don't know your experience and I don't want to give you bad advice. If you want to try yourself, below is a good DIY video (use a pan to catch the fluid and measure how much was lost and replace with new fluid):

My CV was seized in the wheel hub and the shaft had to be cut, the wheel hub had to be removed, and a press was needed to remove the shaft from the wheel hub. If this happens, use a Sawzall or grinder to cut and take it to a mechanic who would probably charge you a few bucks to press it out.

If this is a daily driver, I would consider taking it to a dealer. If you have another car go for it.
Ive replaced the wheel bearings less than 5,000 miles ago, the grinding really only happens when I make a left turn so my first instinct was that it was CV related. I have a new shaft, just wanted to see if anyone has any advice thats done it before. Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive also heard a rumor that Toyota transmissions are picky with ATF? Would I need to buy Toyota atf WS or can I used a 3rd party brand?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive also heard a rumor that Toyota transmissions are picky with ATF? Would I need to buy Toyota atf WS or can I used a 3rd party brand?
I always recommend Toyota but any World Standard fluid should adhere to the World Standard standards :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts