Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Just wanted to share some info. on my new Pioneer AVH-X2800BS head unit I had installed a few days ago. I had it professionally installed. Price of unit was $249, needed wires that were $65 and $75 for install. I was able to retain function of backup camera, Bluetooth and steering wheel controls. Lost function of factory USB port however a USB wire came with the unit that was wired into glove box. Factory auxiliary input stayed functional though. A Metra mounting bracket came with the unit and actually looks pretty good, however, the color is slightly different than the rest of the trim but not so different that it looks bad or is going to bother me.
So far I have not changed speakers or added amp or sub. The sound quality with OEM speakers is actually alright. It sounds clearer and and is able to play much louder than OEM head unit. I'm actually impressed with bass as there is actually a lot of bass. However, with OEM speakers the midrange and treble sounds a little harsh still even after spending a lot of time tuning with head unit. The head unit has a lot of sound tuning capability including 13 band graphic equalizer you can adjust yourself. I have ordered some Kicker 41KSC354 (3 1/2 inch 2 way speakers) to go in the dash along with a bass blocker(600hz) to try to smooth out the sound.
After I install the Kicker speakers in the dash, I'll see how the sound quality is. If it still needs help, I'll change out the door speakers. Hopefully that will be it. I'm pushing 50yo, 20 years ago an amp and sub would have been a necessity. Now I just want some quality sound that goes pretty loud. I listen to rock, classic rock and a lot of heavy metal.
Also, I I bought this Rav last month. My first RAV4. It's a 2013 LE 2wd non- JBL. I'll try to add a picture of the head unit installed. Hope this post helps someone trying to make a decision for aftermarket audio with their Rav. I searched to make sure there isn't a similar thread and couldn't find one. I apologize if there is.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add a couple things and didnt want to edit original post. Some negatives with the Pioneer AVH X2800BS--- it is a touchscreen so finger prints are inevitable. They are very noticeable with the unit off but not as noticeable with the unit on. Wish it had a rotary knob for volume, but not a deal breaker. The screen brightness is better than the factory unit and is a easier to see during the day but when the sun hits the screen it can be difficult too see but still better than factory unit. It also auto dims for night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Toffeemax. Yes there is some sun glare, not as much as OEM unit which would blind me. The screen will wash out when the sun hits it. I don't think there is any special coatings on the screen like some more expensive models. I think these large flat touchscreen are just susceptible to this stuff including fingerprints. Now you got me thinking. I'm going to look on Amazon to see if there is a screen cover that could reduce this stuff. The screen is brighter than OEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just installed a pair of Kicker 41KSC354 (Crutchfield) dash speakers, box says KSC35, in the Dash. Also, put a 600hz bass blocker on each speaker. Install is straight forward I installed them myself. The new Kickers definitely smoothed out the mid and high range. Sounds better now. Not harsh. The door speakers are still the factory OEM speakers. Don't know if I will change door speakers to aftermarket or add an amp,or a sub. I'll listen to it for a while and decide. It's pretty good for now.
Also, I did find an anti glare screen protector that fits the Pioneer H.U. on Amazon. Haven't ordered it yet but I'm going to soon. Price is $16.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts