Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 rav 4 xle and was looking at doing some mods to it. not quite sure to what extent but was wondering what some good options might be for me

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only changes I have made to the wife's are: 1. To replace the imitation spare with a full-size tire. Requires some woodworking. 2. Added an aftermarket TPMS to give a readout of actual tire pressure for each tire and alarm when one goes too low. Did that because the winter wheels had no TPMS sensor. The wife likes the change, so I included it with the summer wheels. Also added some aftermarket floor mats; but I don't consider that a mod.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
89 Posts
The only changes I have made to the wife's are: 1. To replace the imitation spare with a full-size tire. Requires some woodworking. 2. Added an aftermarket TPMS to give a readout of actual tire pressure for each tire and alarm when one goes too low. Did that because the winter wheels had no TPMS sensor. The wife likes the change, so I included it with the summer wheels. Also added some aftermarket floor mats; but I don't consider that a mod.
How did you install the aftermarket TPMS? Is it the device that mounts on top of the dash? Or is it the type that fits in the blank spaces for switches?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This one plugs into the cigarette lighter socket or mounts where ever you want, with a wire and plug to the lighter socket. Haven't seen one that fits into the switch spaces.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
89 Posts
This one plugs into the cigarette lighter socket or mounts where ever you want, with a wire and plug to the lighter socket. Haven't seen one that fits into the switch spaces.
I was able to find one but it's not complete yet. I'm waiting to get a new set of tires since the sensors will be enclosed inside the tire, the harness gets connected to a fuse and it's complete, just need to connect it to the back of the receiver.

Here's what it looks like:

20200704_171124.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't believe it will show location of sensors correctly on 4th gen Rav4 - it just does not have this capability (and btw this is the reason Toyota decided not to show pressure values at all)..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting. How long are the batteries expected to last? What info does it provide? Is this a Toyota item? How about a link.

The version I have is apparently not made any more. The later version from the manufacturer uses sensors inside the wheel. IMO a bit more of a hassle for battery replacement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is using existing TPMS sensors inside the wheels. You can read tire pressures using Carista or Techstream directly through OBD connector - this device does the same thing. I have seen sensors with 11-year old batteries that still worked (TPMS sensors are were mandated in 2008).

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
89 Posts
Interesting. How long are the batteries expected to last? What info does it provide? Is this a Toyota item? How about a link.

The version I have is apparently not made any more. The later version from the manufacturer uses sensors inside the wheel. IMO a bit more of a hassle for battery replacement.
It is not a Toyota part. According to the listing from Amazon; It says it shows the following:
  • Independent pressure in either bar or psi units (small digits but better than nothing)
  • A battery icon will appear when the battery is low in any sensor
  • A thermometer icon will appear when Abnormal temperature is detected.
  • Whenever one tire goes below the set pressure there is an audible alarm with a flashing warning icon.
Like DR180 said; the expected battery lifespan is like 9 years on these particular sensors that came with the kit (probably due for a new set of tires by then). Unfortunately with my RAV4; it did not came with OEM TPMS, so there was no module or sensors and when I saw the schematics; I was going to open a rat's nest, and for me to install an OEM system it would take lots of dough, probably different harnesses and headaches so this was the most logical way to go in my case.

Here is the link for the one I got:
Huahat TPMS

The only issue that I see in the future is when it's time to rotate the wheels, the sensors will have to be reprogrammed which I think there are instructions on how to do it or just keep track of the rotation pattern

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting. The link says it uses external sensors, with 5 year battery life. Also that the readout must be recharged periodically.

I was unaware that any US sold vehicle in the last 10 years or more did not have TPMS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looked again at the link. There is an internal sensor version available. The batteries are replaceable, a + over the OEM system, but the life is stated as 5 years, which, in my experience, is likely to be optimistic. There is no indication how often the unit has to be recharged. There is a wrench included. Does that mean the batteries can be replaced without removing a tire?

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
89 Posts
Interesting. The link says it uses external sensors, with 5 year battery life. Also that the readout must be recharged periodically.

I was unaware that any US sold vehicle in the last 10 years or more did not have TPMS.

Yeah,

I linked the listing for the external version, there was an option for internal sensors on that same listing. When I purchased the kit, the listing said 9 year battery, but now I see it says five year battery so not sure what changed either the sensors are different, cheaper battery or they realized that it's impossible to get 9 years out of them. The read out will get power once you turn the vehicle on so I don't believe the receiver is battery powered plus the receiver shuts off as soon as I removed power when I was bench testing, the listing is different from when I purchased mine 5 months ago, so not sure if it's a different unit or just different seller.

As far as my RAV4 not having OEM TPMS, a lot has to do that it's Mexican spec, Mexico (as far as I'm concerned) does not mandate TPMS. But it also has other options that US market would only get on the Limited version or not available at all for the US market. There's a trade off I suppose.

Here is the link for the internal option:

Huahat TPMS Internal

Edit: I edited so it makes more sense.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
89 Posts
Looked again at the link. There is an internal sensor version available. The batteries are replaceable, a + over the OEM system, but the life is stated as 5 years, which, in my experience, is likely to be optimistic. There is no indication how often the unit has to be recharged. There is a wrench included. Does that mean the batteries can be replaced without removing a tire?
No,

You will have to remove the tires to change the batteries, the wrench is just a cheap tool to install the new stems on the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts