Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got in the car today and tried to put something in the glove box. Handle/latch pulls out sort of half way, but feels somewhat loose and is not engaging the latching mechanism. The glove box itself is not budging. I took a peek underneath - it looks like you can access inside the latch with a screw driver. There are some plastic brackets/nubs on the back of the latch handle, but one of them looks busted and is not catching what appears to be the actual latch itself...

Has anyone had this issue? And if so, any good ways to open up the glove box by using a screw driver? It's unclear to me how the latch underneath works...

Will post photos later today.

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys. Got in the car today and tried to put something in the glove box. Handle/latch pulls out sort of half way, but feels somewhat loose and is not engaging the latching mechanism. The glove box itself is not budging. I took a peek underneath - it looks like you can access inside the latch with a screw driver. There are some plastic brackets/nubs on the back of the latch handle, but one of them looks busted and is not catching what appears to be the actual latch itself...

Has anyone had this issue? And if so, any good ways to open up the glove box by using a screw driver? It's unclear to me how the latch underneath works...

Will post photos later today.

Thanks!

Late reply :D but I have had the same problem "forever". I found that if I push IN on the glovebox cover BELOW the handle the latch then works.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a weak point in the RAV4's. Mine did similar and got so pissed off I just pulled the handle off. Seems that handle has this small reinforced plastic nub on the back which helps to "turn" a small dial in the glovebox to open it. But this plastic nub is poorly reinforced so tends to collapse in and bend. I'm not sure of solution - hoping that Toyota does a recall on this.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Toyota will not do a recall on a glove box unless there is a safety hazard issue. We never had these complaints on the 4.3 glove box which was lockable with the key. Looks like Toyota regressed to an inferior design to save a few pennies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have come up with a solution to fix the poorly designed latch. Under the handle there is a plastic lever that sticks out to press the opening mechanism. This piece of plastic is very flimsy and bends over time. After bending the piece back to its original postion I reinforced the entire area with hot glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trick to reset handle

I have come up with a solution to fix the poorly designed latch. Under the handle there is a plastic lever that sticks out to press the opening mechanism. This piece of plastic is very flimsy and bends over time. After bending the piece back to its original postion I reinforced the entire area with hot glue.
Thanks for the pictures! How did you put the handle back? Brute force or is there a trick to getting it back on the nubs?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Toyota will not do a recall on a glove box unless there is a safety hazard issue. We never had these complaints on the 4.3 glove box which was lockable with the key. Looks like Toyota regressed to an inferior design to save a few pennies.

09 Sienna. Lockable glovebox. Same general issue of cheap plastic engagement tab. Same "civilized" solution of pushing in the right place as you try to open. Accompanied by a voodoo dance. Thankfully that thing has TWO gloveboxes, one above the other.

Apparently $heetty glovebox latch designs run in the family. :shrug:

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you re-attach the internal spring? Trying to figure out what it attached to, but somehow it caused the handle to return to the original position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts