Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about 20 threads on the dreaded RAV4 torque converter issue, which I am now experiencing. It's an intermittent issue, and would like to cover my bases if I am told by the dealership that "It's normal..." or whatnot. My RAV4 is still under the 60k/5yr warranty BTW.

Can anyone produce a copy of the TSB for this? In various threads, reference is made to a technical service bulletin: T-SB-0023-15 - I'd like a copy of the text or PDF. I tried to find it online, and looks like I have to subscribe to TIS just to peek at it (if it exists).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally - did any of you with this issue see a noticeable drop in MPG? It seems like I'm getting about 18 MPG-20 MPG now. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Id like to find a copy of the Shudder TSB for 2013+ Rav4 as well. Any luck? I dont have any symptoms at 36k miles, but would like it on hand if I start to.

Also... how common was this problem for 2013? I'd like to hope it wont ever affect me but if its a for sure type thing then that kind of sucks.

Im planning on going up one size on my tires and would hate for them to use that on a transmission related failure to screw me on a warranty repair. (larger tire, more rolling resistance, strain on drivetrain excuse im sure they would use).

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts
Id like to find a copy of the Shudder TSB for 2013+ Rav4 as well. Any luck? I dont have any symptoms at 36k miles, but would like it on hand if I start to.

Also... how common was this problem for 2013? I'd like to hope it wont ever affect me but if its a for sure type thing then that kind of sucks.

Im planning on going up one size on my tires and would hate for them to use that on a transmission related failure to screw me on a warranty repair. (larger tire, more rolling resistance, strain on drivetrain excuse im sure they would use).
Maybe somebody here would know:

2013 rav 4 Ecm/torque convertor issues/ replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got my torque converter changed on my 2014 and like you I was concerned Toyota would give me a hard time about it all...

I simply called the closest dealer, explained the symptoms and that I had done a lot of research on the problem. They booked an appointment and when I met with the service advisor I showed him the letter I got and insisted that I had the issue although it was hard to detect sometimes. He told me he would do his best to get the technicians to ‘spot’ the issue so they could do the replacement for free. He called me after my time slot and said he pushed for the techs to find the issue and after a few test drives they finally detected the shudder and they would do the repair.

It’s been about 2 months since I’ve had it done and I have no issues to report. The car drives a whole lot better, power has been restored and MPG has increased. I was scared they might screw something up but for now all is good. I just wish I could check the fluid level.

If you go to Toyota for this and you really do have the symptoms I recommend you insist that you have the problem. I feel that if I hadn’t stressed that I had the symptoms and that I did my research, they might have told me they didn’t find anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I experienced the same thing with the dealer in Cheyenne, WY. The torque converter shudder on my 2013 XLE is obvious about 70% of the time I drive the car; however, the dealership told me they were unable to detect the shudder the one time they test drove it.

The service manager recommended that I drop by at any time when the shudder is occurring and he would have a tech go on a test drive with me right away.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My wife decided to take our 2013 XLE into the dealer in Cheyenne, WY again. Even though she rode around with a tech for about 20 minutes, they couldn't get the shudder to occur. However, she explained the symptoms and they matched the TSB perfectly, so this particular tech decided to schedule the service. We were grateful for that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My TSB work is complete. The shudder is gone and the PCM software update made the transmission amazingly smooth in comparison to what it used to be.

Even if you don't have the shudder, I'd recommend accomplishing the PCM software update just to get the smoother transmission operation. It's quite noticeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts