Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants me to do a scheduled break caliper check service at 35,000 km but he wants 1 1/2 hours service time paid by me. Is this necessary? He says brake caliper can rust and then not release brakes causing premature wear. If this is a problem why do I have to pay for them to fix it?

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Welcome! Have not heard of this "service" sounds like the an unnecessary dealer attempt to extract more money from your wallet. Our Honda dealer who sold and serviced my wife's CR-V tried to pull the same ploy - said that it was a necessary service to clean dust from the brakes and rotors. We refused, and have taken her vehicle to another dealer since for service.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My dealer wants me to do a scheduled break caliper check service at 35,000 km but he wants 1 1/2 hours service time paid by me. Is this necessary? He says brake caliper can rust and then not release brakes causing premature wear. If this is a problem why do I have to pay for them to fix it?
Calipers do get "sticky", because the sliders pins and brake pads stick for lack of lubrication. I can check to see how my sliders are doing by removing the caliper(2 bolts), pushing the piston back , re-assemble and try to move the caliper in and out. I also always make sure I can move the brake pad in and out by hand when they are installed in their clip grooves. If they move easy , they will always release away from the rotor.
I lube my slider pins twice a yr (spring and fall when I change tires) and clean and lube the brake pad clips (what the brake pad slides on) If they get gummed up, then they won't allow the pads to release away from the rotor and will wear quicker. It's very , very easy to do yourself.
The dealer will always try to get you into their garage, that's where they make money.
It's not a warranty issue as brakes are not covered....
I got 123,000 km's out of my front pads on my Corolla and 95,000 km's on my 08 Rav.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
LOL, I think you have your answer by now! Most shops can do an entire brake job in 2 hours! Run, don't walk.....:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts