Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to change the coolant in my RAV4 but I want to find out where the engine block drain plug is first. I looked in the owners manual and on YouTube with no luck. Looking for a little help. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

I've used this device years ago!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just did a drain and fill on the overflow and radiator. Could not find the drain plug on the block.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There's a big problem with coolant change today, and that's the relative absence of coolant concentrate. Most of what you can buy today is a pre-mix - 50% HOAT with water.

In the old days I'd do a garden hose backflush with some cleaner, use low pressure compressed air to push out as much of the water as possible, and then use 100% straight antifreeze and distilled water (yes, controversy over what KIND of water....) with more antifreeze than water because we know there will always be water left in the system that dilutes the coolant. With the help of a hydrometer and some addition/subtraction, we'd get the protection level just right. 50/50 in the lower states, slightly higher concentration of ethylene glycol when I lived along the Northern border.

Now how do we do this today? Hydrometer (specific gravity) accuracy varies depending on what's in the coolant, and can't really be trusted for accuracy. I don't believe that Toyota Pink is available in concentrate, and Toyota Red isn't the same or compatible.

I see why Toyota dealers use exchange machines. In the end, this might just be the best approach to getting it right.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a big problem with coolant change today, and that's the relative absence of coolant concentrate. Most of what you can buy today is a pre-mix - 50% HOAT with water.

In the old days I'd do a garden hose backflush with some cleaner, use low pressure compressed air to push out as much of the water as possible, and then use 100% straight antifreeze and distilled water (yes, controversy over what KIND of water....) with more antifreeze than water because we know there will always be water left in the system that dilutes the coolant. With the help of a hydrometer and some addition/subtraction, we'd get the protection level just right. 50/50 in the lower states, slightly higher concentration of ethylene glycol when I lived along the Northern border.

Now how do we do this today? Hydrometer (specific gravity) accuracy varies depending on what's in the coolant, and can't really be trusted for accuracy. I don't believe that Toyota Pink is available in concentrate, and Toyota Red isn't the same or compatible.

I see why Toyota dealers use exchange machines. In the end, this might just be the best approach to getting it right.

Thoughts?
Thanks for the information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts