Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a 2013 XLE, being the owner of two Matrix we started to like Toyota's reliability.
However, friends of mine have warned me to avoid buying the first year of a generation, as inevitably there are unforeseen issues that get corrected in the following year models.

After looking up extensively what people complain about the 2013, the top issues are the screen that is hard to read, the transmission that sometimes loses power or hesitates, the hood that vibrates.
I can live with the screen, but I'm wondering about the other two, how widespread and severe are they. I saw a video on this forum about the hood but it was bad quality and couldn't really see it.

Owners of 2013 Ravs, after a few years, how happy are you with it, and what don't you like?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have a '13 XLE AWD. No issues.
Yes, the hood shakes very occasionally over rough roads, no big deal.
I have no problem with the touch display. Never had any issues with the trans, except it is slow going into gear from Neutral or Park after it warms up. After being concerned about it early on, I am used to it and I know most seem to do it.
Other than those few idiosyncrasies I can say that my '13 has been totally reliable.
What don't I like? The clunk I get from the suspension when hitting even small potholes. The running up of the electric pump for checking the pressurization of the evap control system after 5 hours of sitting. The damn green ECO light constantly blinking on and off while driving. I can disable it with Techstream, just haven't got around to it yet. The long reach down to the seat warmer switches, the transmission mode switch (Sport, Normal, Eco), the USB input, the power port, and whatever else is down there.
Overall, it's been totally reliable and gets really good fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The damn green ECO light constantly blinking on and off while driving. I can disable it with Techstream, just haven't got around to it yet.

Actually the eco light can be turned off without techstream. I shut mine off within days of owning it because it drove me nuts. Can't remember the method off hand but this is what someone else posted.....

Close :smile

Hold the "DISP" button on the steering wheel for about 10-15 seconds. You should see something along the lines of "Eco On" displayed in the instrument/gauge cluster, then use either the Up/Down arrows on the steering wheel or momentarily press the DISP button to toggle between Eco On and Eco Off. Then press and hold another 10-15 seconds to save the change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll be able to forgive the tough suspension, I remember not liking that about my Matrix but I got used to it.
That eco light might get on my nerves yes, I'll see if I go berzerk and Techstream stuff on the RAV.

I'm getting a good deal on a 2013 XLW FWD, just checking if that redesigned model has any real flaw that would turn me away from it, or make me wait and get a 2014 instead.

Reliable and safe would be the two main points I'm looking for, so for now it's still good :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think I'll be able to forgive the tough suspension, I remember not liking that about my Matrix but I got used to it.
That eco light might get on my nerves yes, I'll see if I go berzerk and Techstream stuff on the RAV.

I'm getting a good deal on a 2013 XLW FWD, just checking if that redesigned model has any real flaw that would turn me away from it, or make me wait and get a 2014 instead.

Reliable and safe would be the two main points I'm looking for, so for now it's still good :)
FYI,

The rav4 did poorly in the small overlap crash test. Pretty much any car did though before that test became a requirement in recent years. The 2016's now pass the test, not sure about the 2015.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also have a 2013 and am now coming up on 55k miles. Absolutely no issues - the car has been rock solid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have a 2013 Limited. It has only been to the garage/dealer for oil changes and centreing the steering wheel. The only odd issue is the rear hatch which (twice) would not close. Caused by parking on an uneven/rough surface, one wheel on a snow bank etc, both times just moving the car a few feet "fixed" it.

The RAV is not perfect but we are totally impressed with it. A pleasant change after owning a Subaru.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the XLE there is no power hatch, so I would not have that issue, and the solution is quite evident for that!

Just checked the small overlap thing. It's basically if you just catch the corner of a wall, so that the driver gets thrown in diagonal between the side and steering wheel airbags.
2015 and up pass it now, but other 2013 crossovers were not much better either so switching to a competitor would not solve that.
The crash itself does not look good though, something to thing about.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
On the XLE there is no power hatch, so I would not have that issue, and the solution is quite evident for that!

Just checked the small overlap thing. It's basically if you just catch the corner of a wall, so that the driver gets thrown in diagonal between the side and steering wheel airbags.
2015 and up pass it now, but other 2013 crossovers were not much better either so switching to a competitor would not solve that.
The crash itself does not look good though, something to thing about.
The scenario that crash represents is a small overlap crash on the hiway, which I imagine is the most common. I'm sure it's much more likely that someone is just drifting out of a lane a bit and clips an oncoming car rather than full head on collisions. That is probably rare compared to a small overlap. Basically though, it measures the amount of intrusion of the wheel , dash etc. there is into the drivers space and chance of injury to the drivers left leg and hip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI,

The rav4 did poorly in the small overlap crash test. Pretty much any car did though before that test became a requirement in recent years. The 2016's now pass the test, not sure about the 2015.
All rav4s built as of dec. 2014 pass the small overlap crash test with flying colours.:smile

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Actually the eco light can be turned off without techstream. I shut mine off within days of owning it because it drove me nuts. Can't remember the method off hand but this is what someone else posted.....
Success!
Thank you for sharing that tip.
I was too lazy to pull out the laptop and do the Techstream thing until winter is over.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Success!
Thank you for sharing that tip.
I was too lazy to pull out the laptop and do the Techstream thing until winter is over.
Glad it worked. Repayment for all the helpful info you posted in the roof rail removal thread. :)
Today is not the day to be out in a cold car with a laptop in Winterpeg.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went from a 2013 XLE to a 2016 XLE. I have found the car much more polished and enjoyable. The suspension is more controlled and smooth. I found the transmission to be a little smoother and it seems to shift more quickly than the 2013, making the drive more fun. The interior is much quieter. I have also found the screen the same but the audio/phone integration is better. Audio quality sounds the same. I like the hill holder feature. It basically applies the brakes in the moment of moving your foot from brake to gas when stopped on a hill. A little thing, but nice. The materials in the interior all feel and look more upscale as well. I saw the power lift gate as a gimmick at first, but got used to having it very quickly.
I never had any real issues with my 2013. I did feel like the drivetrain had too much play when in park. The car would rock more than normal but my dealer said it was fine. The new car feels tighter with less play. The new crash rating on small overlap is also a nice comfort to have.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought my '13 XLE new. The only issue in 32k miles is a driver side door actuator and brake noise which is more of a nuisance than a problem. It has been rock solid. A little hood vibration at times but i could care less.
Reading Spideyrex post makes me want a '16 tho as it would be nice to have the little things like sunglass holder, automatic headlight shutoff ('13 don't even have that) ,a little smoother ride etc. But...she will be paid off in a year and deciding if those little things are enough to start over on payments again :confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
But...she will be paid off in a year and deciding if those little things are enough to start over on payments again :confused:
That's why I ultimately decided to stick with my '13. I was thinking about upgrading to a '16 Hybrid Limited (or CR-V Limited), but as I thought more about it, I realized I'd basically be paying about 15K for heated seats, a few nice technology features, and fancier materials (apparently the Hybrid doesn't do much better than the regular engine; would be nice to be more green though).

To respond to the original post, I've been completely happy with my RAV. I bought it new (now at ~37K) and the only problem I've had is that I had to replace the "brain" for the navigation system because it kept freezing. It was still under warranty though, so I didn't pay anything extra. Aside from that, it's been perfect. The dealer that I bought from also has a full, unlimited lifetime warranty as part of the purchase, so it's great peace of mind to know that 15 years and/or 200K miles down the road, I'll still have warranty coverage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm considering getting a 2013 XLE, being the owner of two Matrix we started to like Toyota's reliability.
However, friends of mine have warned me to avoid buying the first year of a generation, as inevitably there are unforeseen issues that get corrected in the following year models.

After looking up extensively what people complain about the 2013, the top issues are the screen that is hard to read, the transmission that sometimes loses power or hesitates, the hood that vibrates.
I can live with the screen, but I'm wondering about the other two, how widespread and severe are they. I saw a video on this forum about the hood but it was bad quality and couldn't really see it.

Owners of 2013 Ravs, after a few years, how happy are you with it, and what don't you like?
Hello! I purchased my 2013 XLE used in July of 2014. I've been very happy with it so far and it's my first Toyota. Issues it has had... A rattle in the door. Turned out to be something needed to be tightened up in regards to the window motor. Rattles here and there; I turn up the radio. I've seen the hood vibrate and basically that was from driving into a head wind at +70mi/hr on a windy day. No bother to me. Although, one time was due to it not being fully latched. I had to pull over and give it a good slam. Has not happened since. Oh, and the smell that will sometimes come from not running the air conditioner in a while in the summer. I changed the filter out and sprayed Lysol in the vents. It's been fine since. That's about it for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts